My Home Directory has been nuked - User Error Alert!!

Reaction score
Well, "nuked" is a bit harsh, more like my Home Directory had a stroke ...

So now I'm in a bit of a spot here and just need some advice ...

I just lost most of my Home Directory (don't ask, cos' I'm a backer uperer) and all my Pref panes except 3. I also lost most of my 3rd party apps.

When I go to the Apps folder the icon for the lost apps has changed to some random icon and if I try to launch the apps I get an error message (see below).

What I need to get my head around is can I download/install them all over again or do I first need to flush what's left of them out of the System.

If the latter is the case, then does anyone know the exact steps to take?

I only need the answer to this before I can move on and mop up.

Funnily enough I only lost the 1st half of my library alphabetically, so I lost the Movies folder but not the TV shows folder, and didn't lose any photos at all from iPhoto. I lost my Documents, even the icon disappeared from the Finder sidebar. My Movies folder is empty.

If I go "Show Package Contents" on the missing stuff in Apps or on any installed Components, there is nothing in the window that launches.

Picture 1.jpg

The Error.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.