Leopard and Spotight

Reaction score
OK. So I have adium (my chat program) logging all of my chats.

Before I installed Leopard I could do a spotlight search for "logs" and it would come up with a few folders named "log" and I'd open each to find the correct one. NOW that I've installed Leopard it doesnt find as many folders, let alone the one I'm looking for. I know my chat client is still logging them though as I can generate the chats from people by opening their IM windows etc. But I want to be able to delete the folder.

Why isn't Leopard finding these folders? I have all of the boxes checked in my Spotlight preferences so it checks everywhere on my comp.

ALSO, my friend has it so that he can type in any word in spotlight and it searches through all of his logs from adium... how do I get mine to do that?

His spotlight just does it, he never configured anything etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How long has it been since you installed Leopard? It could very well be that the Spotlight index hasn't been completed yet.

Reaction score
I too have the same problem!I actually faced it when i was trying to find some .plist files to fully uninstall a program.And i have seen many sites mentioning this as a feature of Leopard :Grimmace:,not a bug.Strange....
I was forced to do a clean install,but the problem remains.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
But on a side note..................spotlight is way faster under Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
trying putting quotes round the thing your searching for. for example "logs"

OP
A
Reaction score
quotation marks don't work and spotlight has been indexed correctly... it doesn't matter how fast spotlight searches if it doesn't find what I'm looking for...

OP
A
Reaction score
...so is this a known problem by Apple? Is it ever going to be fixed? If so how soon do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm pretty sure they know about it. I would hope they fix it in 10.5.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea I was searching for my coreservices folder and it said 'no results found'
maybe it's meant to leave out system folders/content ??
but if it did, wouldn't you be able to change that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I just did an A/I install to 10.5 on my iMac (500GB HD) spotlight has been "indexing" for nearly 90 minutes and does not show an estimated time. Does this seem right?

OP
A
Reaction score
It might... do you have any external drives connected? How big are your hard drives? My hard drive has about 130 gigs on it and it took about 10-15 mins.

I also have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram- what are your specs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might... do you have any external drives connected? How big are your hard drives? My hard drive has about 130 gigs on it and it took about 10-15 mins.

I also have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro with 2 gigs of ram- what are your specs?

I have a 500GB internal & a 250GB external

2.33 GHZ C2D iMac w/3GB of Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. I dont think it should be taking THAT long... is it still going?

It just never did anything. I just kept on seeing the spinning bar and it never gave me an estimated finish time for indexing. I am at a loss at this point.

M

MacHeadCase

Well you're not alone, that's for sure. I just saw this post at MacInTouch Reader Reports (Nov. 4, 2007, fourth post):

Larry Bartram
I bought Leopard for the new and improved Spotlight. That's a bummer, I think I have found a big bug in Spotlight, at least for me.
I purchased two internal 750 GB drives to put in my Mac Pro. I used Apple's Tiger (OS 10.4) Disk Utility app to format them as a single large volume in a striped RAID.
Since upgrading to Leopard, Spotlight tries to index this large (about 1.3 TB or so) RAID volume, but only gets to 50% then stops cold. The fact that it always stops at 50% seems telling, as if it might be indexing one of the two drives only.
In any case, the little dot in the Spotlight toolbar icon continues to swell and shrink, indicating activity, but nothing happens. Hilariously, I also get a message that says, "Indexing Mac Pro. About 3,090 hours remaining."
Hopefully I won't wait that long for a fix from Apple! Any ideas?

Just a thought... You obviously have enough space, why not backup your stuff on your external and reinstall Leopard with an Erase and Install instead of an Archive and Install if you can't wait for an OS update? It might be worth a try. Or stop the Leopard indexing till Apple issues an update.

BTW, bobtomay tried all three install options (Upgrade, Archive and Install and Erase and Install) and E&I seemed to give him the best results.

Also I saw Apple just issued an update for the iMac Core 2 Duo's and Mac Pro's hard drives... It is said to be for 10.4.7 and later... See if that applies to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I am going to do exactly just that. I am just want to make sure I back up my iWeb sites/iTunes library/iPhoto etc. before doing so.

M

MacHeadCase

Well let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

Also try running Software Update to see if that iMac/Mac Pro HD patch is for your iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.