Normal MacBook noise?

Reaction score
My MacBook makes "clicking" sounds every few seconds-minutes. Sounds like the hard drive just clicking, I can hear it right near the right hand rest part of the MacBook. This is my third MacBook in a few days as the first two I got at the store were defective... am I shooting 0 for 3? I didn't hear this noise with the first MacBook. Didn't have the second MacBook long enough to figure out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
doesnt sound right
take it back,
apple just redid the macbooks today so you would be getting a better machine as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16/2.5GB, in a coma
Return it! I've never heard such noises in the few months I've had my Macbook.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Definitely NOT normal behaviour of a MacBook.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's a low noise, but it's noticable... I'm gonna feel embarrassed turning a third MacBook in...

Make a click noise with your tongue, but softly and that's the noise I hear.

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, my Black Macbook does this as well. I have had mine for just about a year now, and the "sound" has not had any impact on the operation of performance of my machine.

I have just had to deal with the fact that my macbook in particular makes a plethora of noises.

I have the creaky hinge, the flexing creeking left side, buzzing processor and noisey hard-drive.

The hard-drive sound never worried me, mainly because it is so incredibly faint, and compared to the sounds that my external hard-drives make (WD and G-Drive) not to mention the sounds my HP notebook makes.

I have had the IT guys in my company take a look at it, and listen to the sound, and they are positive its not leading to a failure, BUT I still have a bootable back-up just in case.

Honestly, out of all the macs I have seen in my company (clothing design) all the MBs and MBPs have all been nosisy in some way or the other. I love my Mac to death, but I have come to accept the fact that it is far from perfect. I put up with all the above mentioned issues because it is still better then working on a silent windows machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, I went to the Apple Store the other day and the Genius said I shouldn't worry about it. Although, he did extend my warranty from 14 to 30 days. I guess I'll have to live with it, unless something bad happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.