Learning C++ with Xcode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I am new to programming and I've been told to start by learning C++. I want to use Xcode 3.0 which came with my copy of Leopard. So here's the deal, I want to use a book that clearly explains programming along with giving tutorials. I really want a book that is specifically for Xcode, because that's what I have. It also should be very basic, beginners guide. Does anyone know of a book like this that exists?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64 views and not a single person knows of a good C++ book?

Reaction score
I don't know of a C++ book specific to Xcode. If you stick to standard C/C++, you'll be able to program in any compiler. The IDE is just a matter of learning where things are.

Reaction score
Hi Mackid,

It was my understanding that most people these days start programming in java which shares many qualities with C++ in terms of object oriented programming. And there is a great online tutorial of java with the 'Really Big Index' (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reallybigindex.html)

Downside is Xcode is not popular for java code, I personally use terminal but I only do basic stuff. I have never tried xcode with java but imagine it can be done. Anyways good luck.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Isn't XCode really mainly meant for Objective-C coding?

Anyway - I'm just getting started with learning Java, but the concepts seem to be easily transferrable to other languages (well - I've also looked at Python & Ruby and it seems similar enough).

I mostly use Textmate for coding and building my little programs, but our course will be moving over to Eclipse soon.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input everyone. I was looking around XCode and it seems really intense for a C++ compiler. Does anyone know of any free C++ compiler for Mac?

Reaction score
What do you mean by intense? Every compiler would have the std libraries for c/c++. Some compilers will add in extra compiler/environment specific libraries. Are you thinking that the editor is too intense? I haven't personally looked at how x-code looks. Is X-Code an IDE?

If you think the editor is too intense, you could always type it up in TextEdit and compile the code through command line.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
XCode seems to be a huge, powerful program that can do a lot more that c/c++. Forgive me of my ignorance illusionist, I have hardly any knowledge of programming. I'm no sure if XCode is an IDE. I have a good friend who programs using c/c++ and uses a PC, he downloaded XCode and said it's interface was confusing, and told me to look for something else. Maybe it's just because he uses a PC. Do you use XCode?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Reaction score
XCode seems to be a huge, powerful program that can do a lot more that c/c++. Forgive me of my ignorance illusionist, I have hardly any knowledge of programming. I'm no sure if XCode is an IDE. I have a good friend who programs using c/c++ and uses a PC, he downloaded XCode and said it's interface was confusing, and told me to look for something else. Maybe it's just because he uses a PC. Do you use XCode?
I haven't personally looked at XCode. I'll take a look at it when I have a chance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Netbeans is great for Java.

D

danielb

If you are just starting out and plan on doing some simple examples from some programming book, I would suggest using gcc.

Reaction score
I have learned startand C++, but I know nothing about XCode.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Xcode is Apple's premiere development environment for Mac OS X. In addition to being packaged on the DVD with every copy of Mac OS X, the latest Xcode developer release is always available for free to ADC members and includes all the tools you need to create, debug, and optimize your applications. At the heart of the Xcode tools package is the Xcode IDE, a graphical workbench that tightly integrates a professional text editor, a robust build system, a debugger, and the powerful GCC compiler capable of targeting Intel and PowerPC regardless of host platform. Xcode is both easy to use, and yet powerful enough to build the largest Mac OS X applications. The complete Mac OS X developer tools chain is distributed as part of Xcode; these tools include Interface Builder, Instruments, Dashcode, the WebObjects framework, and the complete reference documentation, to name just a few.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
Why would you download another IDE having XCODE? To programo C/C++ just utilize the command line utility. Understand XCODE compiler pretty good long float can get up to 16 bits. XCODE debugger is pretty good in helping you understand why your code wont do what you want it to.
XCODE has an array of different programming schemes to choose from.
For C/C++
File- new project
Scroll to the command line utility
C= standard code
C++ = will be under C++ utility.
in editor type your code.
Build and go
Then under products on the terminal window icon double click and
Voila your code will run..
Understand also that XCODE is an IDE and like all platforms follows the
G.I.G.O standard.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I was looking around XCode and it seems really intense for a C++ compiler. Does anyone know of any free C++ compiler for Mac?

You need to understand the distinction between an Integrated Development Envirmonment (IDE) and a compiler. XCode is an IDE not a compiler. All current Macs come with a free compiler - gcc. gcc can be used from the command line or using a build environment such as Make. For starting out, an IDE simplifies the many things that you have to manage as your programs get bigger. For simple single file programming examples, an editor and gcc is all that is needed. XCode seems overly complicated, but once you beginning developing programs that contain hundreds or thousands of files, you'll appreciate an IDE.

There are other options for C++ IDEs on the Mac. The previously mentioned Eclipse and Netbeans both support C++ development if you download the correct plugins. XCode, Eclipse, and Netbeans all use gcc as the underlying C++ compiler. I suggest you try all three and see which one suits your style. If you are going to stick with Mac-only development, XCode is probably a good choice. I don't care for it much, but that is because the software I develop runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows. Eclipse allows me to use the same IDE on all platforms.

Reaction score
I am new to programming and I've been told to start by learning C++. I want to use Xcode 3.0 which came with my copy of Leopard. So here's the deal, I want to use a book that clearly explains programming along with giving tutorials. I really want a book that is specifically for Xcode, because that's what I have. It also should be very basic, beginners guide. Does anyone know of a book like this that exists?

You will almost certainly not be able to find a single book that does both well. If you need to use XCode, I suggest you get a beginning C++ book and a separate book on XCode. You could also use the online help and resources online at Apple.com to get up to speed on XCode. Any books on XCode are almost certainly going to be aimed at Mac programming and XCode specifics, not beginning C++ programming.

You'll be much better off going to a bookstore and checking out the books in person to find one that meets your needs. Also there are two free C++ books that can be downloaded. They are very good. You can get them here: Free C++ Books

Reaction score
C++ coding in Xcode is no issue.... as far as I can see....

The Xcode environment is basically a big compilation of languages. Includes C++ and java.... You just need to learn the Language and the rest is perfectly fine. The Xcode will give you the environment within its own environment of the language and you can program as you would in a standalone IDE of the language....\\\

Bottom line just learn the language first and then use the tool in Xcode...

Reaction score
I am a professional C++ programmer and have many years experience of programming with MS Visual Studio. I have just bought a Mac Mini with a view to getting into programming for the Mac. I just bought and started reading Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, ISBN-13 : 978-0-321-50361-9. It was highly recommended for learning to program with XCode, but it is for readers who are already familiar with C++.

I am presently finding the XCode IDE quite a challenge, but I have only got part the way through Chapter 4. Having said that I can appreciate that XCode will be a very good tool to use, once I have got used to it. I like the easy way of mapping GUI widgets (buttons, scroll-bars, etc...) to the event method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.