Extension Cable for USB Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hi all, I recently got a USB extension cable for my iMac keyboard so I could use it on the keyboard tray of my desk (normal cable too short).

However doesn't seem to like it - like I press a key - nothing happens -- or it thinks I am holding it down for 15 seconds when I only pressed it once.

Could it be the cable is crappy (got it off ebay) or is it the computer?
Have taken the cable off for the time being and that fixed the problems with the signal.

Don't want to go buying a better cable if its not going to work either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
Hi all, I recently got a USB extension cable for my iMac keyboard so I could use it on the keyboard tray of my desk (normal cable too short).

However doesn't seem to like it - like I press a key - nothing happens -- or it thinks I am holding it down for 15 seconds when I only pressed it once.

Could it be the cable is crappy (got it off ebay) or is it the computer?
Have taken the cable off for the time being and that fixed the problems with the signal.

Don't want to go buying a better cable if its not going to work either.
Just found this earlier post as I'm searching around for a few answers before my iMac arrives.

Does anyone know the answer? I'd be interested in using an extension as well if I can...

Reaction score
Hey, I'm facing a similar situation (used Mac Aluminum Keyboard with USB extension cable just fine for 1 year, but after most recent upgrade keyboard will not function with USB extension cable). I was wondering if you had found any resolution to your situation?
Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Maybe the cable is providing insufficient power? I am honestly not sure but that would be my guess. The real problem is I have no idea how you'd fix it unless you just buy another cable, but if that also fails to fix it then maybe the Apple keyboard draws more power than most.

One thing you could do is look into a USB repeater instead. This strengthens the signal against the degradation that occurs when you use really long cables. But there's no guarantee it'll actually work, and repeaters cost around $20.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry is correct. USB extension cables do not work well with keyboards and some USB powered hard drives. The problem being most of the cheap cables that are available degrade power due to their high internal resistance.

The only kind of keyboard extension cables that work well are those made for the older PS-2 keyboard connections.

Regards.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Thanks for the suggestion! I went to the local Apple store and picked up a genuine Apple keyboard extension. Works like a charm. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Harry is correct. USB extension cables do not work well with keyboards and some USB powered hard drives. The problem being most of the cheap cables that are available degrade power due to their high internal resistance.

The only kind of keyboard extension cables that work well are those made for the older PS-2 keyboard connections.

Regards.

FYI, this is probably an Apple-specific issue because I have two keyboards that I regularly run on extension cables and both are perfect. One is on my PC and the other is on my Xbox 360. Perhaps Apple has made their hardware "pickier" about things like USB power. Or like I suggested earlier, the Apple keyboard may just draw more power than most keyboards. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it has a USB hub built in.

Reaction score
I'm having this same exact problem. Picked a $20 Belkin USB A/A Extension Cable at Staples. No go.

And I even spoke with an Apple rep. I gave her the dimensions of my desk and told her I ordered the cabled numeric keypad keyboard. She said her desk was the same exact depth, and that the cable was long enough so that the keyboard worked perfectly with the keyboard tray. She assured me that the cable would be fine. Not the case at all. :Not-Amused: It's at least 2 feet too short.

Oh well. I'll call the Apple store tomorrow and see if they have a solution. I hope they do. It'd be a real bummer to have to send my brand new 24" iMac back for such a lame reason. :( But I need the computer to work with my desk because it's a dedicated DAW machine and the midi keyboard goes on the desk top. [*sigh*]

Reaction score
Hey harryb2448,

Thanks for recommending that. I went ahead and ordered one this morning.

I saw that you had recommended it in a post above. I was just kind of hoping to find something at a store nearby if possible. :\

I can't believe how aggravated I feel about something so trivial. I was pretty bent when I typed that post last night. Oh well. Patience, right? :Smirk:

Thanks,
Dave

P.S: I called the apple store anyway this morning just for the heck of it. They don't even carry usb extension cables for their keyboards anymore! Nice, ey! :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.