Imac G4 RAM Question.

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I just recently purchased an 800mhz. Imac G4. It has 512mb of RAM in it with Tiger. It is a little slow and I thought that it was the RAM, so I want to upgrade the RAM. My Question is is should I take the 256mb stick out of the user slot and replace it with a 512mb Stick making it 768mb or RAM. Or should I go even deeper inside the mac, and upgrade that to 512mb as well making a gig. First of all I don't even know how to get past the user RAM slot so what is everybody's advice. Is 768 enough or should I max it out with a gig?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz 2x160GB HDD 2GB RAM
Here is a quote from one site - "Apple "strongly recommends" you add memory in matched pairs, and that's why they don't offer a 3GB, 1536MB or 768MB factory configuration. The integrated GMA950 graphics chipset runs at it's fastest when it has matched memory, because it can address RAM using it's dual-channel memory controller."

I would recomend you 1GB or even 2GB of ram.

Chenk this link http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/MacBook/Testing/Memory_Benchmarks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
OSX is, like any modern operating system (ignoring those stripped-down versions of linux which will fit on a floppy or a small flash drive...), is very RAM hungry. If you're comfortable with taking it apart, you'd be much better off with 1GB.

OP
M
Reaction score
well I would do a gig, but I am not sure if i need any special tools or anything to access the factory slot. To the person that said put 2gigs in the Imac G4 800mhz model only takes 1 gig. I was just gonna try 768, but if anybody could tell me if i need anything special to access the factory slot, because i read somewhere i need some special glue or something. so yeah, I understand OS's need RAM, but will 768 be enough or should i research and get the gig?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Research it and get the gig. It'll make a big difference. The machine still won't be fast, but that extra 256mb will help a lot.

You'll only need a few things to replace it:
-A #0 phillips driver
-A T15 torx driver
-Some paper towels or (preferably) cloth rags that you can have ruined (stained at least)
-Some 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol
-Some decent thermal compound; this stuff, to be specific: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Read these instructions, except edit in my revision on page #3:
http://www.macworld.com/2003/08/features/15fpimacupgrade/index.php

the revision is where the article says:
macworld said:
first scrape off the old thermal paste from both surfaces with the edge of a credit card. Don’t use an abrasive material, since it may score the surfaces and create gaps that prevent the connection from sealing properly. Also avoid liquid cleaners—they could damage the iMac’s internal parts. When the surfaces are clean, smear a thin layer of thermal paste on the mating surface and spread it evenly

replace it with "wipe the thermal paste off of both sides of the joint with a dry towel/cloth, then wet another section of the towel/cloth (or another one) with a bit of alcohol and wipe the mating surfaces on both sides of the machine (the bottom base and the top of the base) clean. You may need to do this several times until the cloth comes off clean, depending on how neat and clean Apple was when they installed it. Apply the AS5 thermal paste, spreading it with a plastic bag over your finger or with a credit card (it will stain your skin-not harmful, but annoying). You don't need a lot, an almost paper thin layer is sufficient. More is not better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.