Battery on the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2 C2D, 2GB Ram, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT
Firstly I love my MBP as it really is the best thing ever. I am aware however of protecting my battery. I know I shouldn't really leave the battery in the macbook and keep charging it and decharging it so I bought a static free bag to keep it in. However I worry about static damage to the pins underneath the MBP where the battery goes.

What should I do?

Thank
Oli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You should leave the battery in the machine... It has a charging circuit in it. It will stop charging the battery when it is at capacity. You're doing a LOT more harm to that battery by leaving it out than you would be by just leaving it in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
yea taking it out does nothing to help the battery. I have left mine in the whole time I had my MB and its ticking just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
There's a widget, iStat Pro, that has health indicator for the battery (amongst many other useful features). You might consider downloading it, so you can track yours.

J

PS: Anybody know how low that health indicator should get before considering a replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Um... as low as it'll go before the battery life drives you insane?
I had a PC notebook once that chewed batteries (this is what happens when you run a machine that'll pull 120w peak through a tiny battery)... the main battery was down to 5 minutes of run time before the mobo died. It was still usable for me... just enough time to walk between classes and plug it back in. *shrug*

Reaction score
ok, so I bought a refurbished macbook pro last week, loving it so far. already came with 3 battery cycles use (istat pro widget says).
When I'm using the computer from battery directly the battery charge goes down very fast, starts with something between 4 to 5 hours remaining (when at 100% charge) but then (probably b/c of the use of drive and display?) starts using more power and gets you a use time of 2-2.5 hs in the end.
I guess this is normal?
The battery health (also from istat widget) gets down with every cycle though? received it at 97% health and after one cycle it got down to 96%... does this mean I can only have 100 cycles with this battery? that sounds not much to me...
can someone enlighten me with the normal life length of this battery?
Thanks!
Claus

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2 C2D, 2GB Ram, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT
Cheers guys thanks so much. Also iStat Pro is brilliant ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.