where would be better,,both of these are mirrored doors quicksilver,

1 ghz single, 64mg 4mx video card, firewire 400 and 800

or

867 mhz dual cpu, 32 mg video card

not sure which to get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I cannot find a benchmark test for the Dual 867MHz QuickSilver because I cannot find it on MacTracker. Looking at the single 1GHz MDD score and comparing it to other QuickSilver speeds, they might be about equal (The Dual 867MHz might be a little faster though.) But the 64MB card on the MDD is a plus. The 1GHz machine also has FW800 which the QuickSilver won't.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks....looks like a toss-up.....but i am not that smart on apples..though i am learning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The QS is a separate model from the MDD. There was no dual 867 quicksilver.

That being said:
Get the dual 867. Period. End of story. The dual 867s will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster in most applications than the single 1GHz. The GeForce 4MX isn't the greatest card in the world, and it doesn't support hardware acceleration of all of the pretty GUI features in OSX, but that's true of both models... and going from 32MB to 64MB isn't going to make a dead slow card any faster, in this case. You won't be able to do much gaming on it either way, and they'll perform exactly the same as each other in OSX. You can get a FW800 PCI card.

In short, like I said: Get the dual 867. Period. End of story. No questions asked.

Edit: Also, you should be aware: Even the first Intel Macs (even the Core Solo models) will be significantly faster than either one of these machines. You'd be better off with an Intel Mini or iMac from a performance standpoint.

OP
R
Reaction score
okay...what about a 9800 pro........probably make things better??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
9800 Pro is a good card, though I'd recommend flashing a GeForce 6800, as it's much faster. Only caveat is both cards are going to add significantly to the power and cooling requirements, and I probably wouldn't throw either one (the 6800 in particular) in an unmodified MDD machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
geeky1

are you saying that i need a bigger psu for the 9800 or 6800???what eles needs to be done..ron

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.