Finder Crashes a Startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
On bootup in Leopard, the Desktop shows no files - no disks, no icons at all. The dock is OK but clicking the Finder icon doesn't open a window. The mouse icon is a spinning beachball on the Desktop.

Has anyone seen this? It's quite restrictive of use of the Mac! Good to have Spotlight find files. Applications in the dock will mostly run OK, but can't restart because this will just hang. Needs a cold power down and boot...

Booting from Leopard DVD and repairing boot hard disk / permissions shows no problems, but the Finder is now dead. Could this be hardware or software failure? Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Remove the Finder preferences file form ~/Library/Preferences/ and restart the Mac. I am not sure whether it would help but it wont harm your system.

OP
twitchymike@mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
This sounds like a plan. Can you be more verbose on how to do that? I am OK with UNIX but not so much on Apple UNIX and the location of items...

Thanks

OP
twitchymike@mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb
In fact, I've found these: what if I delete the following?

com.apple.desktop.plist
com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.finder.plist

would it mean disaster, or would I just have to set some preferences again?

Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
com.apple.finder.plist is the one you should delete. When you restart the Mac. a new one will be created. Your problem may cause due to a corrupt .plist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.