iSight Resolution

Reaction score
I am new to the forums and kind of new to Macs in general, but I have a quick question about the built-in iSight resolution. I am using the new 20" iMac (if that makes any difference) and a friend told me that there was a way to increase the iSights resolution. I have searched google and found a few mentions of it but not much information. I dont want it for video chat or anything, just to take some still pictures with friends and such. I know that the stated resolution is 640x480, but have heard and read that it can actually do up to 1600x1200. If that is correct is there an application that can be used to take advantage of that max resolution, or any settings that can be changed to increase it. Or am I completely misinformed? Either way any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Welcome to Mac Forums Jaytdub!

I hate to burst your bubble, but 640x480 is the top resolution for that camera.

OP
J
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble, but 640x480 is the top resolution for that camera.

If that is the case though then why am I able to record a movie through Quicktime Pro with the iSight and it says its 1280 x 1024. here is a snapshot from the info pane for the movie I recorded. I got this resolution by going into the quicktime settings and choosing the "Recording" tab and then selected the video source as "Built-in iSight" and the quality setting to "Device Native" also pictured below.

1833652288_acc3a55f49.jpg

1833652508_812f580a3c.jpg

Reaction score
Very interesting, I too, have heard rumors that the new iSight is a much more powerful device than what Apple allows it to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I bow to superior facts! I have made the flawed assumption that the external iSight and the internal iSight were the same base technology. What you show above clearly suggests otherwise. I stand corrected.

Reaction score
I have been unable to duplicate your findings. Device native on my iMac aluminum is 640x480. Your codecs are Photo - little endian... I set mine to device native and come up with H.264, AAC, also, my bitrate is 381. How is your bitrate so high? It's almost like you're using a high def camcorder to record through QT. Are you sure you got 'info' on the movie recorded with the settings in your preferences pane?

Reaction score
are you using a Macbook Pro? Some of those, I read on Apple's website, have a 1.3 MP iSight, instead of the .3 MP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.