Switching to Mini Using Existing PC Peripherals

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont have one yet <sob>
Does anyone here have experience of switching from PC to Mac Mini
and used your existing KB, mouse, external HDD etc ?

Because this is the route I'll be going, if possible - just spending money on the Mini and use all existing (USB) peripherals and I wonder if it will work and how the experiences are.

thanks

D R

Reaction score
I ended up buying a mac keyboard and used a left over microsoft usb mouse. All worked fine. Since I kept my Windows Vista PC, I hooked the mini into the VGA connector on my monitor. I just switch between the two.

I didn't want to change out my keyboard, which is still PS2 and my bluetooth mouse, so that's why I did what I did. I could get adapters, but I'm fine with it the way it is.

I'm not sure if that helps you at all, probably not; but it's my experience. Things are fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. The HD, KB, and mouse will work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you use a PC keyboard, how to do emulate that Media Eject key? Without that, it is difficult to use CDs and DVDs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you use a PC keyboard, how to do emulate that Media Eject key? Without that, it is difficult to use CDs and DVDs...

Not really. Firstly, F12 usually triggers an eject in the absence of an actual ⏏ key. More obviously, though, the mini has a slot-load drive, and you eject disks by dragging them to the Trash, or choosing File > Eject, or from the Finder sidebar.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Tech. I have seen some keyboards like say Logitech and Microsoft that had an OSX driver where you could re-map the function keys. It's been a while but I thought one of them had a way to assign a key for eject. Just drag it to the trash or use the menu command.

Also you can Right Click and eject DVD's. Just tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
About the only time you need to use F12 or the dedicated Eject key is on a Mac Pro, Power Mac, or an old iMac G4 to open the tray-loading CD drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.