Do the new Macbooks still make the CPU buzzing noise?

Reaction score
If anyone here has purchased the new SR Macbook can you please update us on whether or not it produces the cpu buzzing noise (cpu whine) when idle?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
lol it just barely came out today

OP
R
Reaction score
lol it just barely came out today

I guess you're right..

But this noise is very annoying and I want to know if there is a point in going to the apple store and complaining.

If you own a Macbook C2D can you please let me know if your Macbook makes a buzzing noise when idle? Just wondering how many are affected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I don't notice it. Sure, if I put my ear right up against the computer I can hear it a little bit, otherwise, it is not audible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Just got one. What am I listening for? I'm sitting in my office and the machine is perfectly silent....

T

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't notice it. Sure, if I put my ear right up against the computer I can hear it a little bit, otherwise, it is not audible.

I can hear mine from 3 feet away.

Just got one. What am I listening for? I'm sitting in my office and the machine is perfectly silent....

T

It's a high pitched buzzing sound, happens when your computer is idle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
nah, it's not making any sound at all.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I am in a super quiet library and I cannot hear mine. I put my ear up to it and it is very faint. I think it would be the fan. I would also go get it looked at.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am in a super quiet library and I cannot hear mine. I put my ear up to it and it is very faint. I think it would be the fan. I would also go get it looked at.

I'm going to the Apple store tomorrow and I'll see what they say. Mine is definitely not faint and can be heard from 3 feet away easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a different problem right now. My iSight comes on when I boot up sometimes. The green light that is next to it comes on right away and when I run photobooth it is just a green screen. I need to find time to take it to the apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No buzzing noise here. Like others said, I can only hear the fan and the optical drive, otherwise it's completely silent.

Reaction score
My Macbook has started to buzz a little this one is exactly a month old. Heres a VIDEO of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DO you know how fast it is spinning? If it is above ~4K RPMs then that is normal.

Reaction score
how do i find out the speed that it is spinning? This noise only started tonight it's starting to bug me abit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
My Macbook has started to buzz a little this one is exactly a month old. Heres a VIDEO of it.

This is a different sound.

Mine makes the buzz too, but its rather a static electricity like noise. And when you start doing any task, it goes away.

I have my macbook purchased on September 15th, just a month before the Santa Rosa came out. Mine made the noise I think from day one. You can hear it from beneath the "w" key. Its like something is cooking inside.... quite annoying. Let me know if Apple takes care of this.
Thanks

Ben

Reaction score
Mine is under the W key too even now when i've just booted up and gone on safari it buzzes a little sometimes it can be really loud. It only started last night i got mine 18th October. I don't know if it is worth me booking it in at the Apple store or not since i can't be without my macbook since I'm at college and my PC is dead as a dodo. So if i took it in i would want it to be replaced rather than been taken in for a week or so to be repaired, asking for a replacement seems like a tall order but then again its a month and a day old. Do you think i should take it in i know Apple tends to be hit and miss, this one is a replacement from when my previous Macbook died on me.

Reaction score
On the phone 15 minute phone queue to Apple support least they are playing good music Bob Marley roots, rock reggie.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the phone 15 minute phone queue to Apple support least they are playing good music Bob Marley roots, rock reggie.....

You at least have that, in Hungary we dont have Apple care, so my only option is to take it to an Authorized reseller. I dont want to do that however, until I hear from somebody whats Apple's view on this issue.

If you get a response, please post back,

Thanks

Ben

Reaction score
Just finished talking to them, first of all i would have to take it in to confirm that it is making the noise then it would need to be booked in for repairs, all of which would take sometime and thats time that i can't be without my macbook so i'm going to have to live with it. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just finished talking to them, first of all i would have to take it in to confirm that it is making the noise then it would need to be booked in for repairs, all of which would take sometime and thats time that i can't be without my macbook so i'm going to have to live with it. :Grimmace:

That is what I was expecting. I will take it in a month or two before my Warranty expires, so that I can have it looked at if it still makes the noise. Unfortunately as Apple isnt present here, we need to trust the Authorized Resellers with their job.

Cheers

Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.