OS X Backup Programs or Third Party Backup Programs?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am triple booting on my Computer.. Mac OS X Tiger, XP and Linux
I was wondering if there is a way i can backup them all at once from Mac OS X and if so what program?? I want to bakcup so if i lose my information or get a virus on XP etc. etc. i can just take my bakcup and use that and "go back" to the backup and all.

So my question is, What can i use to backup these three operating systems at once effectivly or if i CANT what do you think the best way to backup all three are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd recommend SuperDuper.

I also recommend doing a search of the fourm. There's been lots of discussions about backup programs. It's always better to search first.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I apologize, next time i will try to remember to do a search... it's very early here... didn't even cross my mind to search haha. (well it's 10am not VERY early but yea)

OP
Q
Reaction score
Hey, i looked at superduper but... it won't let me do the WHOLE hard drive... onl the mac partition...
Is there anyway i can do my mac/windows and linux through os x or am i giong to have to do them seperatly and have 3 partitions on my external HD just to put'em on there.... or how can i mke an image of each partition and put it on my external.... i dont' know a lot about backups, obviously.

Reaction score
Check out Disk Utility in /Applications/Utilities.

Here's a pretty good article explaining some of the capabilities of disk utility. I don't have any non-Mac partitions so I'm not sure if it'll do exactly what you're looking to do but I suspect that if Disk Utility can "see" the partition, it'll be able to image it.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Alright thanks, i didn't even think of disk utility and making images and then partitioning... How does taking images and using the backups to re"install" your system work? Like if my system gets messed up how do i take images and use those backups to push back my system or whateveR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
So, if you have a separate mac, you can connect two together using firewire, then boot the separate mac into OS X, and then boot the second holding T I think (some key anyway, search the net for os x boot options). This boots the other mac with the 3 partitions as a slave drive. Now connect your other backup drive, and do a 'dd...' type command line copy from the 3 boot drive to the backup drive. I"m not sure of the entire command, but there are several out there that will backup block for block.

NOTE: this will take for freakin ever so start it on a night when you don't want to use it for quite a while.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.