Reaction score
Hello, I have a eMac with the following specifications:

eMac Education Edition:
Processor: 1.25 GHz PowerPC Processor
RAM: 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 40 GB Capacity
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Operating System: OSX 10.5

Now I consider this a pretty decent system, it is no where near as fast as the Intel or G5 Macs, but it should be enough to surf the web and edit office documents. However, since this is an education edition, it did not come with a modem, so I ordered Apple’s USB Modem, and that is where the problem begins. When I am offline, the performance is generally quite responsive even on leopard, but whenever I connect to the internet, processor load jumps to over 60%, and the operating system becomes noticeably more sluggish. Now this problem existed with me before I installed Leopard, and still had Tiger, so I know installing Leopard is not to blame. Furthermore, I have a Panther, G3 500, 572 mb of SDRAM, and when it connects to the internet, its load is smaller than the load on my much faster eMac. When checking the Activity Monitor, the process kernel_task seems to be responsible, and uses 50-60% of CPU processing power. So I am wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem, if there is even a problem at all. And if so, what can I do to make decrease it load on my G4. Thanks. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.