Problems with Colloquy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
I downloaded Colloquy and am trying to connect to a server. The most I can get out of the application are two bubbles in the upper right hand corner of my screen, telling me that they have found my hostname. Is something wrong with my computer or am I an idiot or what? I've looked online but can't seem to find any documentation.

Thanks!

PS - If you know of a better IRC client, please tell me!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But that costs money. :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 60 Gig Hard drive
Most things cost money. And if wont it to work well, then your going to have to pay. We are Mac people not windows, where every second person is making there own crapy app's , that work only for them and know one eales.

I had a look at this Colloguy, and the holl thing looks quite crapy.If you dont wont to pay, wait for anothere member to help you out, or IM one of the more brain members ( not saying u dont have a brain, just saying I dont coz i could not help more)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Macboy, guess you just like to read your own posts since you're posting all over the place without any answers to anyone's questions. How about you give it a rest and let those that do know provide the answers and we all can learn and enjoy the wealth of knowledge found on these boards.

jmeeter, While I don't know enough to help you out, Colloquy is used by many of the forum regulars including those on the forum's every sunday nite irc chat. Hopefully, someone will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I downloaded Colloquy and am trying to connect to a server. The most I can get out of the application are two bubbles in the upper right hand corner of my screen, telling me that they have found my hostname. Is something wrong with my computer or am I an idiot or what? I've looked online but can't seem to find any documentation.

Thanks!

PS - If you know of a better IRC client, please tell me!

Hello many of us here are very happy with Colloquy, however I prefer JIRCii not sure why but I do. If you want to give it a go you can find it here.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22584

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I use Colloquy and it is a superb client.
I would reckon it's a server issue, or your router not opening the port.
I never have a problem connecting unless the chat server is playing up, which is a site issue not a client one.
Try connecting to a different chat room and server to see what happens. Why not try the one for this site!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Macboy: I can't believe you could even call Colloquy "crappy" compared to Snak and do so with a straight face. Snak looks like throwback to OS 8. Colloquy is open source, free, and a great IRC client.

jmeeter Click on this link, #Mac-Forums. See if it connects you to #Mac-Forums on Freenode. That way you'll be able to verify it's at least working correctly.

Also, check out http://www.irchelp.org/ for general help with IRC.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macboy: I can't believe you could even call Colloquy "crappy" compared to Snak and do so with a straight face. Snak looks like throwback to OS 8. Colloquy is open source, free, and a great IRC client.

jmeeter Click on this link, #Mac-Forums. See if it connects you to #Mac-Forums on Freenode. That way you'll be able to verify it's at least working correctly.

Also, check out http://www.irchelp.org/ for general help with IRC.
Nothing happens when I click that, except for the bubbles saying that it found my hostname. I am currently connected through a Linksys wireless router (this is a laptop). Do I have to log in to my router and change some settings or what?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To try it with #Mac-Forums you have to log into the server irc.freenode.net.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To try it with #Mac-Forums you have to log into the server irc.freenode.net.
I did. I can connect to a server just fine with Xchat on my PC, but I can't seem to connect with Colloquy. I did successfully connect to one server with Conversation, but I want to use Colloquy... :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is strange. For irc.freenode.net is the port set at 6667? What exactly happens again when you hit connect? I have been using Colloquy on Freenode for 2-3 years now and never had it not connect. Very strange.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get two bubbles in the upper right hand corner of my screen saying that my hostname has been found, and that's it. :[

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get two bubbles in the upper right hand corner of my screen saying that my hostname has been found, and that's it. :[

How long have you waited after you got those 2 messages? Here it takes maybe 20 seconds sometimes for the rest of the connect messages to show.

For just plain IRC chatting I have never had to do anything special with my Routers Firewall to have Colloquy connect to freenode. Just to DCC then I had to open a port.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe just a problem with the irc servers or something?
When I was trying Colloquy yesterday morning and evening, couldn't get it to do anything.
This morning I start it up and it loads up and puts me in the mac-forums room without issue and I have done nothing else to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.