• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Going to "The Dark Side"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
So I hate to say this but I am looking at a laptop with (sigh) Vista. If I plan on going to college I need a laptop and since money is tight I am looking at an HP.Plus I need to re-learn Windows. I plan on having a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot once I get it. However I have a question. I have the option of Dual Core (1.46Ghz) or Single Core (1.76Ghz).Which one would be better? I plan on running office as well as basic stuff like website building, browsing the net, and listening to tunes. Any ideas (besides the expected mockery)? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'
So I hate to say this but I am looking at a laptop with (sigh) Vista. If I plan on going to college I need a laptop and since money is tight I am looking at an HP.Plus I need to re-learn Windows. I plan on having a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot once I get it. However I have a question. I have the option of Dual Core (1.46Ghz) or Single Core (1.76Ghz).Which one would be better? I plan on running office as well as basic stuff like website building, browsing the net, and listening to tunes. Any ideas (besides the expected mockery)? :)

And I thought I had a problem with only not getting iSight working on my PowerBook...good luck:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Either one of those machines would do just fine for the needs you listed.
Since you mention money as an issue, I say go for whichever one you can get for less.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Sorry to see you go to the other side, but if you must, oh well!

I would go with the Dual Core. Is this an Intel Core Duo or an AMD X2 Turion? Just being sure. The Intel Core Solo CPU's do not impress me in the least. If an AMD Turion I would for sure go with the X2.

This is my opinion and not to hurt anyone, but if it were me doing this I wold get one of the HP, Compaq or Dells that come with XP. I just do not like vista and how much ram it takes just to get to the desktop. I have used Vista since the early beta days and just do not like it. My opinion anyway.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the difference is only $65. Which I would pay. And I am still keeping my G4 so i'll still use mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
P.S. - There are no "sides". Just use whatever computer and OS best suits your needs. No need to start taking sides for something when doing so is irrelevant.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
With Vista, the slightly slower Dual Core will be better and if it's AMD vs Intel, on a laptop, I would go Intel. I use to love AMD, but Intel CPUs are almost unbeatable on laptops.

Good luck man and don't feel bad about using Windows. Just keep the Anti-Virus up to date! ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have nothing against windows except for M.E. and Vista (which I have yet to use). Glad to hear Intel is the way to go as that is what they offer (for this model). I used to be a big AMD fan myself. But Intel has come along way. I still have the sides mentality but it's a habit I am trying to break. Thanks for all your insight!! This will be my first new computer :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'll echo the Dual Core, especially for Linux.

Whatever machine you consider, you should do some searches to see if Ubuntu or other flavors of Linux will run on it today. Eventually it probablly will, but there can be a 6 to 12 month lag regarding hardware support under Linux.

I'll also echo DB regarding "sides". In the end, a computer is a tool that should help you do the things you need or want to do. It should save you time and make your life easier. If a specific computer won't or can't do the things you need it to do, then you need to look for one that will.

You said this is your first new computer. Congrats!!!!!!!! Look closely at the return policy for any machine you consider buying. They've gotten tighter (shorter times) over the years, so you really need to understand your rights and obligations. Laptops often have return periods shorter than desktops/towers. When you get one that meets your needs for school and for return limits, you'll probably need to exercise it extensively after getting it. If it does what you need it to do, great! If not, follow procedures to return it as quickly as possible so you can get a different one that *will* meet your needs.

Good luck in school and good luck with the new machine!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I am pretty stoked. I have to wait for a card in the mail then I get to go online and buy it. I know that Ubuntu voids the warranty so I may have to wait until that expires. Even windows seems more prone to viruses. I'll definitely go Dual Core then and look into the return policy. Thank you mathogre and everyone else! Can I rep this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.