• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need help/advice on selling a MacBook Pro...

Reaction score
I really need some advice on this, and I thought this would be the best place to come to.

I bought a MacBook Pro 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo a month or so after they came out and was initially happy with it. It really does most of what I want it to do...but I don't feel that for ME it is a long-term machine. Along with professional uses, I like to do some high end gaming and emulation, which is possible with this machine, but in the long run I know I am going to want something with a DirectX 10 graphics card among other things.

I read a rumor that the MBP line will be updated around January with an upgraded CPU as well as the option for a 512 MB Nvidia graphics card, which is something I feel I would better fit my personal taste for a much longer time than my C2D machine.

So, I was thinking maybe now would be a good time to sell my machine before it becomes TOO outdated...I can't believe how fast the re-sell value goes down for these things considering how powerful they are. I would love to get more than half of what I paid, which was around 2800 (notebook plus AppleCare). It still has a little over 2 years left for AppleCare which is really good.

What I'd like to know is what you guys think a reasonable sell price is for my machine, I would love to get 1500 back from it, so I could put down 1000 on a newer machine plus have some extra cash to help with current bills, I would put the rest of the cost for a new one on a credit card.

I would be interested in listing it in the Buy/Sell/Trade section on the forum, too. It seems to be reliable.

So what do you guys think? On the upcoming MBP upgrades (if there are any) and reselling a slightly outdated MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
If you paid $2800 I bet you could get $2000 since you have Applecare.

That's a BIG plus in the resale market from what I've seen....

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not a hardware issue. Moving to appropriate forum.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks D3v1l80y, I was actually unsure of which forum to put it in, thanks for moving it =)

And thanks for the reply mac747, I was thinking the AppleCare would help...I really wish I could get 2000 for it but I've been looking on eBay and it seems like the 2.33 C2D's barely get over 1000...and it looks like all the systems on there have been customized (more RAM, bigger hard drives somehow, and don't list AppleCare anywhere...) so I don't know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You could put it up on ebay, set a reserve of 1/2 what you paid for it, and see what you get for it... If it's below the reserve, then there's no deal and you don't have to sell the machine.

Reaction score
I know I am going to want something with a DirectX 10 graphics card among other things.?

I thought some of the new MacBook Pro models had DX10, what video card to you have?

I would figure out how much Apple sells them for as Refurbs, then take $100-$150 off that if you are selling with OS X 10.5 if it only has 10.4 then take off make $200-$250, list it on Craigslist.org, see if you get any buyers...

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought some of the new MacBook Pro models had DX10, what video card to you have?

I would figure out how much Apple sells them for as Refurbs, then take $100-$150 off that if you are selling with OS X 10.5 if it only has 10.4 then take off make $200-$250, list it on Craigslist.org, see if you get any buyers...

I got the last MBP model to have a DX9 card, they started adding the Nvidia DX10 card with the Santa Rosa chips.

That's a really good idea, I'll look up the refurb price, take off some money (it has 10.4) and put it on craigslist and eBay with a reserve.

Thanks guys.

Follow up: It looks like they take about 15-20% off the original price for the refurbs. About 300 dollars. And then minus another few hundred would be about 1800 or 1900. Still feels a bit high compared to the ones seen on eBay...but again, I don't see any of them listed as having AppleCare

Also: I noticed a LOT of MBPs on eBay say they come with 10.5 and iLife 08 and such all pre-installed but do not come with the discs, which most likely means they're pirated. Yes, I realize they might have "lost" the install discs, but let's be real, they're probably pirated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I searched the completed listing on eBay with keywords "Macbook Pro 2.33".
All listing closed between $1600 and $1900. With fees (eBay and PayPal), you'd be looking at getting at least $1400 for it.
I love eBay but I am really digging Craigslist. Today I finally finished fixing my G4 Cube. I posted it on Craigslist and within 2 hrs the guy came and picked it up. I probably got a little less ($225) than what it would have sold for on eBay ($250) but I didn't have to pay $30 in fees. (Or spend a week watching the listing or ship it.)
Craigslist is free so I would try there first and see if you can get $1600 or whatever you are willing to part with it for. It can't hurt. Or do that while listing it on eBay. You can always cancel the auction and that way you don't waste a week waiting for someone on Craigslist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.