Converting DVI to ADC

Reaction score
Am I loosing anything or doing harm by converting my new cinema display's DVI to ADC?

That's the basic question- this is the confusing novel about why it had to be done:
I just got a wonderful new 20" cinema display (dvi) and an OK viewsonic LCD (vga) for my single 1.8mhz G5 tower. Come to find out my G5 only has ADC and DVI ports and no VGA. I thought my cheapest solution was to get an ADC to DVI converter coupled with a DVI to VGA I already had. That didn't work, because for some reason apple's DVI to VGA doesn't fit with my BELKIN ADC to DVI (female dvi's are slightly different). I ended up using my dvi to vga for the Viewsonic, and the DVI to ADC for the new cinema display. I might be crazy, but the color seems a little different when the DVI is converted to ADC- everything else looks fine. Hence my question above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Probabaly not hurting anything but your eyes at the bad colors. You of course lose the digital signal for clearer crisper screen.

OP
T
Reaction score
I was under the impression that ADC was still a digital signal. I did think the color changed when the adaptor was used. I work mostly in image retouching so color and profiles are pretty important. Should I stick with the DVI to DVI? To keep an extra monitor I'll have to drop a chunk of change on an ADC to VGA adaptor or on a new grapics card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Well ADC is a converted digital signal from analog, so yes it's digital but not really. It's converted so you lose everything stated above. Then you are adding another conversion in the mix, from your converted digital back to an analog vga signal. I have no idea what the loss would be but I'd venture that for video editing this is not the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.