HELP! Lost Admin Account

Reaction score
In an attempt to change the "short name" in my new Macbook Pro's admin account, I attempted to create a new admin account in System Preferences > Accounts & delete the old admin account. However....somehow (my fault, no doubt) the newly created account was labeled as "standard"; not "admin".

Now I am unable to unlock the account preferences to make any changes. In other words, I think that since the newly created account is labeled "standard", my computer cannot find an existing admin account whose administrator name & password are valid. Therefore, I somehow have to create a new admin account. Can someone bail me out please? I am using OS 10.4.10. THANK YOU!
:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Can you log back into the original admin account?

Oh I see you deleted the old admin account....I'll look into this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macheadcase Rocks so I would follow that thread...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would if it were me...I trust Macheadcase on Mac stuff...

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh..Oh.....when I boot the OS X 10.4 install disc, I'm prompted for my admin name & password. I'm trapped!!! HELP??

OP
K
Reaction score
Problem solved: Someone suggested that I reboot in single user mode. The screen launched some root-level, cryptic geek-speak. I then dutifully typed in what I assumed was a message for a fsck check, a command to NetInfo Manager & then rebooted. Miraculously, my account was changed for "standard" to "admin". It's beyond me, but effective. Nevertheless, thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem...glad you fixed it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.