Airport and Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'm having a problem with Leopard recognizing different wireless networks. I did a clean install of Leopard (I had a problem of my hd being Apple partition type instead of guid) To me at least that seems to make it a driver conflict with tiger drivers unlikely.... In other scanners like apgrapher and coconutwifi it clearly shows that there are other networks available. Yet under the airport icon beside my battery and sound indicators it shows that airport is on, give me an option of turning airport off and the where the list of available networks should be it only lists my current network. Clicking n join other networks and then show networks it scans fer about 2 seconds and theres no networks listed. Anyone have any ideas about this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Several people have been trying this:
****QUOTE*** check if the AppleAirPort2.kext is still present in your /System/Library/Extensions folder? It is an older Tiger-only AirPort driver that is no longer used on Leopard. You can simply delete it, or move it aside by changing the extension to something besides .kext. See if that fixes your problem. ****END QUOTE***
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5661752#5661752

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Its not there. And i said i did a clean install too. so that would rule out anything but Leopard drivers....

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Now I see if i turn airport off and then back on for a brief moment it shows all my networks, but only briefly.

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
What if I were to delete all my settings... that might help i think... anyone know how to empty all the caches related to the airport and maybe keychains too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As I posted elewhere, this has been happening to me since sometime around 10.3. It aLWAYS finds my network though, just not the other 6 out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only having those issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 1.8 Ghz 1.5GB RAM
it may be because of the software update to your airport(s) from 7.1.1 to 7.1.3, the same problem happened for me so i just reverted back to 7.1.1

hope that helps

OP
Chimpur
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
When i say airport i dint mea airport base station. I mean the airport express inside my macbook... i use a linksys router w54gt i thing, but after i Did a clean install, i could see all the networks. After i put in the password for my network and told it to be saved in the keychain and also used backup to add my dettings etc is when the problem started....again lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
For what it's worth, I'm having the same issue. Coconutwifi can see all surrounding wireless networks, including mine, while the Apple Airport menu can only see my own.

Also weird, I've discovered that since the upgrade, my MBP is no longer able to get onto my campus' wifi network. It can connect, but I can't get beyond the password authentication page. All this, yet I can still connect just fine to my own personal wifi router.

Weird, buggy stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I'm having the campus wireless problem also. They said their WPA simply doesn't work with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Weird thing for us here is that there are some folks for whom it works fine. The wireless print server doesn't seem to work for anyone, but my boss at the library (a former Apple Genius, actually) can connect to the wifi fine with his Powerbook and Leopard. Really odd that it's erratic like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, MacBookG4, and iMacG5
Same here with campus wifi

My son cannot access his campus wifi since the upgrade (on his iMac G5). I've had my MacBook Pro right beside his and get full strength. Prior to the upgrade, he had full strength. (BTW, he can see 7 other non-campus routers with Leopard.)

My older PowerBookG4 suffers the same problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.