Username and Password not working

Reaction score
The saga continues with my upgrade to Leopard

Help! I went to download updates and it says my username and/or password is not correct! I've tried everything. In a nutshell I had to first install Leopard on my first harddrive with a clean install. I lost all my stuff so I put my cloned hard drive (Tiger) back in and installed Leopard no problem. Then it took that hard drive and used CCC to clone and put it back in my MacBook. All my keychain passwords work even my master password when I log in! But now when I go to system preferences or try to update software it won't take!

I've rebooted and changed with the Leopard start up but nothing! Keeps saying username and/or password are incorrect? Am I screwed or what?! Thanks for any help guys.

Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Hope this helps you:

1 Boot up from the install disc (hold down C key when restarting).
2 Launch the installer as if you are going to install.
3 From the Utilities menu, select reset Passwords
4 In the username field type: System Administrator (root)
5 In the password field type the password you want to use
6 Quit the change passwords app
7 From utilities, select Start Up Disk. Choose you HD as the start up disc and restart
8 Once restarted, select accounts from the System Preferences menu
9 Click the lock at the bottom left
10 When asked for username and password, enter System Administrator as the username and the password you changed earlier as the password
11 Click the enable user to administer computer check box for your account. Your account should now change from Standard to Admin.

OP
H
Reaction score
MacGirl,

You friggin' rock! If this happens to anyone else and you've gone through the above steps and change your system admin password when you go to unlock your lock in system preferences just type in root and the new password. The enable system priveledges.

Now, how can I get rid of the "other account" on the start up screen or lose the start up password all together if I'm the only one that's using my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
You can get rid of the other account in system preferences/user account....the minus at the bottom of the page...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.