Lost my Firewire Ports

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
The Mac no longer recognizes any devices on the four firewire ports. System Profile shows a heading "Firewire:" without any detail about the ports or devices. I'm sure that the two 1394a and two 1394b ports should be listed.

I can't "see" my two external 250gb 1394a drives on the computer screen. A firewire 800 CF card reader lights on the front 1394b port while nothing shows on the computer. I stopped it by shutting down the Mac.

How can I regain access to the four firewire ports on my MacPro?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
After disconnecting all three firewire cables, I restarted the Mac and reconnected the CF cardreader to the front firewire 800 port. The device showed up and loaded images into Bridge.

I am going to try this 1394b cardreader in the rear firewire 800 port to see if the rear port is a problem or not. I had one 1394b external drive connected and two 400 drives daisychained to the other rear firewire 400 port. None of the drives were recognized by the MacPro even though they had worked before. I can' imaging losing three drives but it's possible.

I'll have to find another 1394a device to test the firewire 400 ports though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.