Help: Mouse Question

Reaction score
Having been a lifelong PC user (since IBM DOS), I finally decided to give Mac OS a try. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new Macbook with the Tiger OS installed. I installed XP through Bootcamp and everything is working well. I must admit that I still have not really used the Macside very much and from what I have seen it is pretty much the same as XP. The one thing that I just cannot get the hang of is the response of a basic external optical mouse. I set the pointer tracking to the highest speed which is just fine for large range movements but when I do smal movements to select items etc., the pointer just moves way too slowly. It's almost like moving it through thick syrup. This slow motion thing is giving my right hand tendonitis and is just not fun.
Does anyone know how to get around this problem?
Thanks
p.s. on the XP side the mouse works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you use it for a week or two straight (without going back to Windows in between) you'll pick up the necessary coordination pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
I had the same problem when I switched. I used my Microsoft wireless mouse for a while, and then switched to the mouse that came with my Wacom tablet. I always had problems with the butttons on the side of the mighty mouse anyway.

Don't know if giving it time helped, or if the Wacom mouse made the difference. Still have the mighty mouse hooked up, but I don't really use it. I use a pc during the day and don't really notice a difference between the two systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I don't use the apple mouse...and mine moves great...I use the "M" mouse....can't bare to say the word on a Mac board...hint...apples competitor...LOL

Any mouse will do...

OP
M
Reaction score
Many Thanks

Hi MacGirl34,
The link you provided was just the ticket for me.
No, I would not have been able to get used to the way Apple had it set up because it was a complete turn-off for me.
Now I can start to explore this Mac OS thing.
Thanks All.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook | iPod
It's funny that you mention this because I had the same experience but in the complete opposite way. Not being anything of a regular user of XP I never knew that the mouse movement on OS X was any different until I had to use a friend's dell laptop. Like you said over (relatively) long distances nothing seemed different but if I tried to click on something close, I missed every time. It seemed so jumpy to me, lol. Anyway, good luck with your new Macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.