defragmenting

N

nwilcox

is it necessary to defrag a mac? my friend does it every now and then. he gave me norton utilities to do that. i ran it, and it says it found a couple major errors and i need to boot from the cd. my friend said to hold down c when the disk is in the drive and the computer is booting up to boot from the cd. then the disk doctor can fix the errors it finds.

any suggestions?

thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
From what I have read, you don't want to use Norton to fix an OS X problem. It will cause more problems than fix. Disk Warrior would be a better application.

If you have file system jounraling turn on (default in Panther), then you should not need to worry about defraging your system disk.

What version of Norton are you trying to run? If you have a newer Apple system and the Norton disk is for OS 9, it will not be able to boot your system.

OP
N

nwilcox

norton 8.0.2, and O@ 10.3

I use file vault, which recovers unnecessary disk space. is that enough?

also...

how do i uninstall programs that i installed? i might want to uninstall norton, and i want to uninstall a program i downloaded called shapeshifter and ape manager. any ideas?

rman said:
From what I have read, you done want to use Norton to fix an OS X problem. It will cause more problems than fix. Disk Warrior would be a better application.

If you have file system jounraling turn on (default in Panther), then you should not need to worry about defraging your system disk.

What version of Norton are you trying to run? If you have a newer Apple system and the Norton disk os OS 9, it will not be able to boot your system.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
In most cases you can just trash the item you want to uninstall. Then check your preferences folder and trash any files that have the name of the item in the name.

OP
I

Icarus

I would not use filevault - I blame it for erasing my ical and music library!

OP
N

nwilcox

how did it do that? what is the good/bad about filevault?

Icarus said:
I would not use filevault - I blame it for erasing my ical and music library!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.