Playing AVI files

Reaction score
I have a bunch of AVI files from various sources (torrents, dvd rips etc) that are sitting on my external drive. Tried playing them for the first time last night and received an message saying I needed to download the latest codecs (I'm paraphrasing as I can't remember the exact message) in order to play in quicktime. The message linked to a website where you could download a variety of different drivers. I downloaded and installed the latest Mac DivX drivers and a strange thing happened....Some of the more recent, TV show avi's played okay but the vast majority still wouldn't play - some came up with the same message saying I needed to download new drivers and some just made a horrible screeching/buzzing sound and wouldn't play.

Is there any way in one fell swoop to get whatever drivers I need for all this?

Also is it possible to drag/drop these AVIs into iTunes, primarily to allow me to play them using FrontRow?

Thanks

Reaction score
1. Use VLC to play your movies, it's a lot nicer than QuickTime
2. If you want to use QuickTime, download the Perian codec pack (http://perian.org/)
3. You can play AVIs in Front Row if they're in your Movies folder; they don't have to be in iTunes (which doesn't accept AVis anyway)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
You can also use Flip4Mac, which I think is a plug-in for QuickTime. It will also play WMV files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Hi guys. Quicktime has stopped playing sound from video clips! I know I could use VLC, which I have, and love, but I like using Front Row.

I've installed the codec packs mentioned above, but the same videos were working up until about 4pm yesterday, and when I tried to play one this morning, no sound.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Ricky,

So you've installed Perian (1.1 is the most current version I believe) and Flip4Mac (currently 2.2.0.49)?

Both have preferences that you can alter and are located in your System Preferences. Look down at the bottom of the System Preferences window in the "Other" section. See if anything looks funky in the audio settings of either. Do you happen to know what codec your files are using for audio?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input Walmart Connect.

I'm not really sure mate, but they were working yesterday. I've had DivX installed from day 1, and I've installed Perian, no joy! Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Flip4mac got it back! Well done super awesome MAC doods!

Still, does anyone know why it just stopped working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Rick, without looking at it directly, it's hard to tell. It sounds like one codec pack simply didn't have the right one in it's assortment that the other one did. The important thing: it works now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.