Why partition your HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I don't have leopard yet, but was just wondering about the feature will allows you to partition a HD without loosing data...

Would this work in the Macbook internal HD?

What are some of the things that people use partitioning for? why would somebody want to partition a HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have partitioned my external so that one partition is available for backup (using SuperDuper - at least until I get Time Machine worked out) and the other partition holds all my music and photos. This keeps my MacBook's drive not so cluttered and full of pics and tunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I split my 300GB HDD in half and generally keep my files (Music, pictures, Documents, etc...) on the 2nd partition. It's an old Windows habit. That way if I need to reinstall the OS for some reason, I just make sure everything I want to save is on the 2nd partition and I can wipe the slate clean on my 1st (OS) Partition.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2G RAM
I split my 300GB HDD in half and generally keep my files (Music, pictures, Documents, etc...) on the 2nd partition. It's an old Windows habit. That way if I need to reinstall the OS for some reason, I just make sure everything I want to save is on the 2nd partition and I can wipe the slate clean on my 1st (OS) Partition.

-MikeM

thats the standard reason.......good idea too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.