Networking in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm having trouble connecting to other computers (on Tiger) through an ethernet network.

When I was using Tiger, I would click 'Network' on the side panel, click who I wanted to connect to and a username/password box would pop up.

Now, in Leopard, the computers are under 'shared' in the side bar and when I click it automatically connects as 'Guest' and am given just a single folder called 'Drop Box'.

Going to 'Network' in the 'Go' drop down menu just takes me back to the vew where I'm connected as 'Guest'.

What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
same problem here and in addition:
sometimes i will not be able to see network at all and the only way to connect is in finder menu i go to Go > Recent folders > [a shared folder on another computer] and this connects as Guest on that server and puts it under SHARED sidebar. on rare occasions when i can see computers under Network Connect As connects me as Guest whether I enter Registered User password or not. Also, I cannot seem to add a shared folder from another computer to PLACES sidebar, having to go through SHARED and connecting as Guest every time. The only workaround is to put a shared folder shortcut on Dock and access it from there, which is really only an extra step because Fan and Grid are very basic and if you want to access a subfolder you need to click on Show in Finder.

So as far as I am concerned Leopard went backwards majorly with this. I was happy the way Network worked in Tiger. Is it possible to roll back to Tiger after upgrrade to Leo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Almirr, you'd have to erase and reinstall Tiger to go backwards, unless you have a bootable backup of Tiger, you do have a backup right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, i have the installation disks and that is it. i am probably not going to roll back though. i'll just patiently wait for some sort of update that will make networking work at least as good as in tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM
in finder, press command + K, manually enter the share address, i.e. smb://192.168.1.123, it should ask if you want to use guest or something else.

hope that helps.

but I agree, looks like anything to do with networking, and they have gone backwards instead, trying to over simply things for the masses :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I'm having trouble connecting to other computers (on Tiger) through an ethernet network.

When I was using Tiger, I would click 'Network' on the side panel, click who I wanted to connect to and a username/password box would pop up.

Now, in Leopard, the computers are under 'shared' in the side bar and when I click it automatically connects as 'Guest' and am given just a single folder called 'Drop Box'.

Going to 'Network' in the 'Go' drop down menu just takes me back to the vew where I'm connected as 'Guest'.

What's going on?

When you see the drop box do you see a button in the upper right hand corner of the finder window that says "connect as"? Click that and type in your user name and password and you will get all the files and folders you'd have access to logged if you were on Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i get that i tried, but even after it asks me for user name and password and i type it in it still says connected as guest.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i get that i tried, but even after it asks me for user name and password and i type it in it still says connected as guest.

What PowerBookG4 said works here every time. I have many Macs on my network and it works with all of them and every time. Are you sure you are putting in the correct username and password?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.