Choppy dock magnification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Has anyone noticed how choppy the animation is when you browse around the dock with magnification on? Move the mouse very slowly...

In 10.4 the icons resized and moved ever pretty smoothly. In 10.5, the icons gitter, and resize in larger steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Hmm... I've seen a few people mention this around the web, but mine is smooth - on a Macbook at that (2GHz C2D 2GB). I have my magnification set probably at about 80% of Max, and my animation seems to be just fine - no choppiness. I wonder what he variables are here? I'd definitely expect my lowly GMA950 to have a problem if other people's iMacs are... weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Has anyone noticed how choppy the animation is when you browse around the dock with magnification on? Move the mouse very slowly...

Who moves their mouse really slowly over the dock though? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

In 10.4 the icons resized and moved ever pretty smoothly. In 10.5, the icons gitter, and resize in larger steps.

Yes, I posted this as well on the day I upgraded. Be careful what you say about Leopard though, the Apple Protection Squad is loose on the forum, and will come to your house and eat your chocolate cookies.

I thought it was down to whether your GPU supports certain OpenGL instructions. If not, then the work gets shifted to your CPU and there is some lag. On C2D MacBooks, people don't seem to have an issue, but I notice it on my CD MacBook - perhaps there is a break even point?

But you're saying the actual animation has fewer steps, which is odd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
As a matter of fact now that you mention it....Yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Be careful what you say about Leopard though, the Apple Protection Squad is loose on the forum, and will come to your house and eat your chocolate cookies.

What is this 'Apple protection squad' anyway? (and this isn't a rant against your post) I think its really obsessive the way some Apple fans will defend Apple even when Apple is obviously at fault (as they sometimes are). As far as I am concerned, I am a consumer. I want value for my money and I don't really care whether I get that from from Apple, Microsoft, or the Devil himself.

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I don't think it's a lag issue. <-- Check my specs

It happens when the magnification is not so much bigger than the normal size. I'll have to take a movie capture this evening to show you all. One from Tiger as well (on a G4 1.4!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.