How closely knit is the software...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone :D

Well now im considering the upgrade to 10.5, Im also realising the more space the better with logic projects (Man some of these things are huge! :p)

What i want to know is, how closely knit are the iLife apps, e.g if i delete SOME of them, are others going to completely fail?

For example, I no longer use iDVD or iMovieHD. I dont use iWeb either. Would i be able to delete these apps (thus freeing up some space) without loosing functionality of apps such as iPhoto?

Thanks in advance :D

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Short answer: yes

Long answer: Only the interdependent features will break, such as exporting a video from iMovie to iDVD or making a .Mac web gallery via iPhoto and iWeb. The applications themselves will work just fine.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Thanks for your reply Kash :)

I dont really use many of the exporting sections of the software. for example iPhoto is only used by me as a nice photo organizing tool. Garageband is only on there since it contains all the loops etc now used in logic. The rest i dont really use now.

Although ive just realised, deleting all the apps i listed in my first post will only gain me around 300/400mb at best... its not really worth it lol

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's only when you delete Garageband that you gain a lot of space - somewhere around 2-4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.