What is this app?

Reaction score
Hi,

I've a recent convert (as of 4 days ago), and after looking in Activity Monitor, I see that there's an app called LaunchCFMApp which is using 99 to 100% of the CPU (its the only PowerPC app in the list). Overall, my CPU is running at about 50%. Could someone tell me what it is, and if it's not critical, how to stop it from chewing up so much of my CPU power?

Thanks,

Mike

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
LaunchCFMApp is what is shown when you run an older Carbon CFM application (there are lots of them still out there) and they will be pre-Intel.

What apps have you installed since you got your Mac?

The only way I know to figure out for sure which app is causing it, is to either reboot or stop the process, then start up any apps you have installed one at a time to see which one is causing it.

Some more seasoned Mac owners may have a easier way to tell.

Reaction score
Launch Activity Monitor again and in the upper right drop-down menu, select "All Processes, Hierarchially" ... this should show you under what parent process LaunchCFMApp is running OR whether or not Launchetc is the parent process.

There is a possibility that the name LaunchCFMApp is a generic name for another app altogether, either way it's chewing up too much cpu so we'll have to wait for your reply ...

I just launched Terminal and this is what it showed after I typed:

Code:
[I]man LauchCFMApp[/I]
(all this command does is basically ask for info on launchCFMApp)

So, this is what the result of that command was:

picture_1-20071031-221119.jpg

I also found this gobbledegook about LaunchCFMApp:

BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual LaunchCFMApp(7)

Someone else here will have to decipher that info as I'm not up to that level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
K...I'm not a programmer and am new to Mac myself....so take this with a grain of salt....

The above advice is sound, you need to find the app causing this....sounds like old code that is not fully compatible with Intel processors. PEF executables are not supported on Intel based Macs....and LaunchCFMApp is a little wrapper (sorta) that loads code segments into memory.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I've just installed a bunch of updates from Apple, and it seems that one of them has fixed the problem because it's not there any more!

I'll be wary for its return though...

Thanks everyone

Mike

Reaction score
On behalf on bobtomay and Joe Diver (hope you don't mind, guys) I'd like to say that's great news .... :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Always glad when problems seem to fix themselves...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.