Where's the Downloads folder located?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I accidentally pulled my downloads stack off my Dock and it won't come back even if I download something. I was able to find the folder via Spotlight, but I can't tell where it is. I thought I could right click on the selection in Spotlight to get the folder it's in or the path, but that's not working.

So, if someone could tell me where it's actually located and how to get a file path from spotlight, I would appreciate it.

EDIT: I found the "show path" option in Finder view menu. But, does anyone know if I can have my downloaded files go somewhere else in Leopard like back to the desktop?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Users/Username/Downloads.

If you are talking downloads in Safari, just open preferences and the main page you can tell it where to save.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Also if you access spotlight with Cmd+F you'll see the path to the search results at the bottom of the window.

Reaction score
if you command+click on the item in spotlight it will open a finder window with the folder that contains the item you searched for in spotlight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.