Mounting Hard Drive on Airport Network?

P

Postpunk

Is there any way to mount a USB/FireWire hard drive directly onto an Airport network without mounting it through a computer? I know the Linksys Network Storage Link device will do this for Windows PC's but from my research it does not seem to support Macs. Any Mac devices like this around or coming out soon? Thanks for any info.

OP
S

sonofliberty

I've been looking at apples new airport express, it seems like it can solve your problem.

OP
P

Postpunk

sonofliberty said:
I've been looking at apples new airport express, it seems like it can solve your problem.

Yes I've been looking at the new airport express also but I believe you cannot mount a hard drive directly into the USB port on airport express (or the regular base station for that matter). That USB port is for USB printers only. The Linksys device works by taking the USB line out of the hard drive and feeding it into an ethernet network (for example into the LAN port on airport base stations). Again, the Linksys device seems to not support Mac although I have not had time to give them a call yet.

Thanks for the input.

OP
P

Postpunk

After some internet searching I found this product that might do the trick: Ximeta NetDisk (www.ximeta.com). It's basically a hard drive that you can directly hook into an ethernet network hub/router including wireless hubs and it is Mac compatible (hard drive can be formatted for Mac extended). I don't know how well it would work with Airport though.

Anyone got one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.