Selling stock RAM, warranty

Reaction score
Hey,

If I replace my current RAM on my new MBP 15" that I will be getting in a couple of days with 4GB ram, can I sell my 2GB ram? I understand that it voids the warranty for only the ram itself, so does that mean I don't need to keep the ram for warranty reasons (like if you replaced hard drive, need to keep hard drive for when you send it in for repair)

How much could I get for it? $100? That would be great because this ram:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

Is $170 and that would mean I'm only paying $70. Is that good ram?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
How much could you get for 2GB of used DDR2 SODIMMs?
About $40. If you're really, really lucky.

The OWC RAM is good, though you might find other stuff that'll work that's just as good that's less expensive at www.frys.com (look for OCZ brand; they do mail-in rebates with Fry's sometimes) or www.newegg.com (look for OCZ here too, along with Corsair, Crucial and Mushkin)

And no, you don't NEED to keep it, but I would. It's too easy for Apple to say "ooo you used non-Apple-branded RAM and it killed your logic board, and that failure isn't under warranty." And they've done things like that to people before. I'd keep it just to be safe.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
2nd Geeky's view

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Go for it. I've got the same RAM in my MBP. It cost me $189 two weeks ago with a $30 MIR. It was a steal at that price, it's even better at $130.

You will notice an ENORMOUS difference between 2GB and 4GB, yes. And that OCZ stuff is good RAM. I mean, I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
yea... following in your footsteps is certainly a good thing for anyone on this board to do.

thanks for all the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Wow... uh, thanks. :Blushing: :)

Oh, hey, one other thing. The RAM slots in the MBP are tighter than in any other computer I have EVER installed RAM on. Laptop, desktop, PC, Mac... never have I run into a slot that's as tight as the MBP. Heck, it's easier to put SIMMs in my DEC Alphastation than it is to fully seat the RAM in the MBP. It took me about 4 tries with the top slot (top when you're looking at the machine upside down on your desk with the RAM cover off) before I was sure it was in as far as it'd go.

So yeah, if you haven't installed RAM in a laptop before, read the manual, maybe watch some of the videos on youtube, and be careful. It might not hurt to insert and remove the old RAM a few times to break the slots in a bit... I ended up doing that, but I used the new RAM to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Whoa whoa whoa... Read the description in the first link on this page.

"Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz MacBook Pro" Since when???

Reaction score
AFAIK there's only an iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme ...

Howeverboth models (MBP 15" + iMac Extreme), require the following RAM:

667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

Has to be a typo ... well spotted adler!

Most Important!

Don't forget to remove the battery first! Failure to do so may fry the RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.