Airport Extreme and MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
Hi,

OK, my wife's Macbook has the 'problem' that so many others seem to have when we update to 10.4.10, meaning the wireless no longer works and we get kernal panics. Apparently this is a common problem if you have a look at the Apple Discussion forums. We cannot upgrade to 10.4.10 and we also cannot upgrade to Leopard because it apparently is not fixed (again, according to Apple Discussion forums).

What I am wondering is some people have mentioned that upgrading to 10.4.10 is ok on the Macbook so long as you are using Airport Extreme? Not sure why this is but I am wondering if anyone here has any first-hand knowledge of this. I don't want to go buy something and have it not work.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
I have a macbook and i'm on 10.4.10 and i'm not using any airport extreme router and my airport is working fine...

Are you having a problem with your current router, or airport isn't able to detect your wireless network

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
This is a fairly large problem with Macbooks, just not all I guess. Lots of complaints lodged on the Apple Discussion forums (www.apple.com).

When upgraded to 10.4.10, the Macbook no longer can retain a connection when using the Internet. Safari locks up, Kernals, and you get that screen with the various languages telling you to shut it down.

Only fix is to switch back to the earlier OS. I sat on the Phone with Apple support and the guy told me this was common and that Apple realised the problem. Looks like they are in no hurry to fix it though.

I then read a discussion on the apple forums that if you used airport extreme, for whatever reason, it worked ok with 10.4.10. People on the discussion forum had said they were told by Apple support to buy an airport extreme station, which seems odd to me.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
Hi BlackCivic,

Sounds familiar except you aren't getting the Kernal panics.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1008143&tstart=0

This is the link I am referring to. Over 30,000 views and over 450 posts of the same **** problem. My wife cannot upgrade to 10.4.10 and new products won't be working on her machine I guess, including Leopard because it doesn't fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.