• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MacBook & MacBook Pro updates soon - release dates analyzed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 80GB 2GHz 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, iPhone 4GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Posted by: switchtoamac
On: October 30, 2007 11:04 AM
Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro portables are fast approaching their historical "days between revisions" averages. We are also approaching the 2007 holiday season so rest assured that Apple will release new models very soon. Many buyers have held out from purchasing a new MacBook or MacBook Pro for two key reasons. The first was to wait for for Mac OS X Leopard to be released; the second for systems with Leopard pre-installed. We expect new MacBooks to be released on November 6, 2007 followed by new MacBook Pros on November 13, 2007. We provide our analysis below.

MacBook
Since it's initial release on May 16, 2006 the Macbook has been updated twice with an average of 182 days between revisions. Apple last updated the MacBook on May 15, 2007 and the models are classified by Apple as "13-inch Mid 2007".

If Apple were to release new MacBooks on Tuesday November 6, the days between revisions would be 175 days or 7 days below their historical days between revisions average of 182 days.

Note that by simply relying on the historical average it would imply that the MacBook should see a revision within the next two weeks. When taken in conjunction with the MacBook Pro analysis below, it more likely that Apple will release new MacBooks within the next week.

Apple new Leopard operating system has revealed drivers for the Intel GMA X3100 integrated graphics chip, a successor to the Intel GMA 950 which is used in current MacBooks. This finding would imply that the next MacBook revision be upgraded to the Santa Rosa chipset and that a MacBook revision is imminent.

MacBook Pro
Since it's initial release on January 10, 2006, the MacBook Pro has been updated three times with an average time frame of 170 days between revisions. Apple last updated the MacBook on June 5, 2007 and the models are classified by Apple as "Mid 2007, 2.4/2.2GHz".

If Apple were to release new MacBook Pros on November 13, the days between revisions would be 161 days, or 9 days below their historical average. If however Apple were to release them a week later, the days between revisions would be 168 days or 2 days below the average. In our view, it would be in Apple's best interest from a supply chain and strategic perspective to have revised MacBook Pro models in stores before the Thanksgiving weekend. Therefore, a November 13 release seems like a better bet. A November 19 release would be cutting it close in terms of getting new systems on store shelves and out to authorized resellers.

Simply relying on the historical average would imply that the MacBook Pro should see a revision within the next couple of weeks or so.

Expectations
We bring up our view once again that we expect Apple to release new MacBooks prior to new MacBook Pros. Keep in mind that earlier this year Apple updated the MacBooks three weeks prior to the MacBook Pros so it's a safe bet to assume that MacBooks will be revised first. Furthermore, looking at November 2006 revision release dates for both portable lines increases the liklihood that revisions are just around the corner.

Apple will have a completely revamped portable line of Macs ready for purchase before the start of the 2007 holiday shopping season. Get ready!

Reaction score
IF this is true, great news ill be hoping to get a new macbook near december or January

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Geez, it seems like the MBP's were just updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Don't hold your breath. I would make a sizable wager that you won't see any revisions until next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHZ Core Duo Extreme, 2GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive - iPhone 3G - Aluminium MacBook 2.4GHZ
Jesus!! I can't believe that someone sat and worked all of that out.

But still, I think a whole new line of portables would be a bad move. People are becoming accustomed to seeing white/black macbooks, and silver macbook pros. I just hope they don't do complete overhauls on the designs. If that were the case, naturally they would look fantastic because Apple made them, but what's with Apple's obsession with changing a product so frequently (the iPods to name but one). New chips and higher spec processors would be welcomed with arms wide open but I pray they don't completely change the designs.

On another note, any news on quad core? I'm holding back on getting my iMac coz of a few 'reports'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
i hope they keep the name macbook with the new ones

Reaction score
I'll wait and see.

Thanks for info.

Many people I know are waiting for new MacBook. Nothing wrong with what's out there now, but those of us still in Windows recall that new software 'likes' new hardware.

Reaction score
I am currently using an Acer, run on Win XP Home. I hate it with a passion. Thinking of switching to Mac. I like the MB for their portability, and I like black :) therefore making them a bit cheaper, but with the student discount I get a few bucks off, not making a huge difference.

Maybe I should wait another month to see what happens?

Reaction score
***.... i just bought my macbook pro last night.

This is stupid, why would they release a new macbook pro before Penryn? I don't believe it

Reaction score
I am currently using an Acer, run on Win XP Home. I hate it with a passion. Thinking of switching to Mac. I like the MB for their portability, and I like black :) therefore making them a bit cheaper, but with the student discount I get a few bucks off, not making a huge difference.

Maybe I should wait another month to see what happens?

the black one is the more expensive one!

Reaction score
If say there are really hardware updates to the MB and MBP, will prices increase? Or will they be released with the same prices as the current ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
I'm waiting for the new MBP, not becos i want to get it, but because I am sure it will make the santa rosa refurbs cheaper for me to buy. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Well it's been done; MacBooks have been updated slightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
have the macbooks been updated???? i am in england and i cant see any updates maybe because i am not in america could you copy and paste me a link or something or write the specs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Levi

I'm confused.. I can't see anything that has changed with the macbook on the apple website apart from the fact that it's now shipping with Leopard...

Oh wait... don't tell me that was the update you were talking about :D

seriously was it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump!

sorry Levi I saw it on macRumours.

It seems they got rid of it, ?updated early by accident?

I noticed that there was no major redesign, only an update of intergrated graphics, and Santa Rosa Chip.

Did you see the updated MBPs? 2.6ghz...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeha i got them too well that was not what some people on this forum were expecting after they were lal hyping over a full redesign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also do you think that the MBP update is it or is that jsut a stop gap and there is yet another one to come

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hopre there is another one too come...

pls Mr.Jobs, May we have some more?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.