Confirmed - Leopard is SLOWER than Tiger...

M

MacHeadCase

The time both OSes took to launch from startup is independent from xBench, right? I would guess that if xBench results are not to be trusted, time is time no matter what. Unless I'm missing something here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
am i the only one that upgraded and has no issues?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The time both OSes took to launch from startup is independent from xBench, right? I would guess that if xBench results is not to be trusted, time is time no matter what. Unless I'm missing something here...

Well said. The startup time at least here is not that different. It will be interesting with my 5 Pack arrives next week and I install it on the iBook, iMac G5 and other machines and see how that compares to Tiger in boot speed and overall speed.

It's interesting that Vista here on a very fast machine took 2-5 seconds longer to boot over XP on the same system.

As a side note, I visited the XBench site. The Forums are gone and no upgrades since the Universal ages ago for Tiger.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Apparently there is a difference in the way Tiger and Leopard start up. Leopard kicks off all the threads needed to get things going at the same time, right from the start. Tiger works through them in a sequence.

So, any CPU with multi-cores or highly optimised for multi-threading, will probably launch Leopard quicker. I don't know that a single G5 is a great CPU when it comes to multi-threading.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This might be of interest to anyone following this thread. I posted in the Apple Rumors and Reports forum a link to an Ars Technica review of Leopard and one of the sections takes a look at OS X 10.5's performance.

That is an excellent review. ARS has had the best reviews of the last 2 OSX releases that I have found anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.