using printer and scanner and copier on Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
I have a mac book, a windows xp desktop, and a hp all in one printer, scanner, copier. I also have an Airport extreme hooked up with two external hardrives. I have hooked up the printer to the airport, but get no other functions other than print on both machines. I would like all the functions on both computers. Should I set up a network? Would it work? And How?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Does the MFP have an ethernet port? If so, connect to the IP in Safari and use the scan function there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
Does the MFP have an ethernet port? If so, connect to the IP in Safari and use the scan function there.

Sorry, I am a switcher. New to the Mac. I don't understand what MFP is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Also be aware that only certain all-in-ones (MFP = multi-funtion-printer) will function as scanners, etc wirelessly. Most will only print. You should check the features of your MFP. If it is older, you may be out of luck, if it is new, it may well work -- check with HP for your particular model.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also be aware that only certain all-in-ones (MFP = multi-funtion-printer) will function as scanners, etc wirelessly. Most will only print. You should check the features of your MFP. If it is older, you may be out of luck, if it is new, it may well work -- check with HP for your particular model.

What if I hook the MFP to my desktop, so that I can get all the functions there. Would I be able to share the printer to my macbook so that I could at least print?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.