IPhone vs Ipod Touch?? or both

Reaction score
I am in London where the IPhone is coming on Nov 9th. I am sure many of you have considered IPhone vs an IPod touch + Cell phone. Can anyone tell me the pros/cons?

I see the ability to connect to the net anytime via the IPhone to be a big +

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
I personally took the iPod touch & cell phone route because I really can't afford the 80 per month and verizon dominates in my area. Quite honestly I wish I could. I love my iTouch and really wish I could use it for all my texting, calendar entries ( thank you google calendar ), and everything else. I even use an enV to do all that but after using the touch so often my phone just feels clunky. I'm actually typing this post from my touch. Either way, the buy is well worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
Has anyone tried unlocking the Touch? Seems to be getting easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I personally wouldn't get either at this stage as their both 1st Gen.

I think within 6 months to a year you'll see much improved 2nd Gen versions of both.

The storage on the touch is just too small for the price considering you can get 10 times the storage with an ipod classic for £50 less than the lowest model touch.

with the iphone i've not used one but I understand the camera is a bit shoddy but more importantly its not 3G which means when using the internet outside a wi-fi area it wouldn't be good so some of the features like safari, wi-fi itunes & mail would be a bit useless.

Saying all that I'm not sure i'll be able to resist buying one come november 9th!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I wrestled with this dilema for some time myself - iPod Touch or iPhone. In the end, I went for the iPhone. In my case, it ultimately came down to the fact that I was in the market for a new smart phone at the same time as I was getting really frustrated with the 4 GB limit of my existing iPod Nano. The iPhone was a tidy all-in-one solution to both problems.

Having had the iPhone for a few weeks now, I am sure that I made the right decision. The addition of the phone and camera capabilities is a REAL value add that you will appreciate. The iPhone is the best cell phone I have ever used, bar none.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
If you have no issue going with AT&T's network and plans, then I think iPhone is the better choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz C2D 2GB RAM 250GB HD & Superdrive
I just bought an iPod Touch for my son...of course, I might end up keeping it! I thought it was "an iPhone without the phone" as that has been said many times. It is not. As I was setting it up and describing it to my son over the phone, he was quite disappointed it does not have a built in speaker, like the iPhone. You also can't take notes or add calendar entries on the iPod itself. (No big deal to me). No dedicated email or texting (you can use webmail over wifi).

Here is an excellent review of the Touch and how it compares to an iPhone: review at appleinsider.

I will say I am very impressed with the Touch. It is an awesome iPod. The Wi-Fi is a huge bonus. The widescreen is nice for videos. The interface is slick. It is super thin!

As far as which one to get....Do you have a current cell phone? With a contract? If I needed a phone, I would get the iPhone, since the Touch and the iPhone capacity are the same. If I already had a phone with service I liked, I would get the Touch.

Good luck.

Reaction score
For me, it was a no-brainer - but then I'm a cheapskate. There is no way I'd spend £250 or whatever it is for an iphone and then at least £35 per month to use it on an 18 month contract - I mean that's almost a grand on what is essentially a phone (assuming you don't go over the text/minutes) with a small ipod attached. No 3G to me seems like a big step-back (and, as such, is no way the Jesus-phone that everyone keeps calling it). And my final issue is that I like being able to send a text message quickly using one hand under the table whilst pretending to listen to someone - typing text messages on the iphone (if it is like typing on the ipod touch) would be a laborious process and no amount of practice could surely make it as quick as a regular phone.

I would (cause I have) get a decent contract (I recommend 3) normal phone and the ipod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I can't get an Iphone where I am, so it's maybe not the most objective answer, but the touch and a cellphone works fine for me.

There are ways of getting around the lack of email function on the touch, but even then you're still limited by it being just Wi-fi - I assume the Iphone has gprs / edge so can grab mail at any time?

Maybe the Iphone wins as it's one less gadget (albeit a slightly bigger one) to carry, but touch+small cellphone is perfectly acceptable for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I bought my wife the iTouch last night along with the Bose dock. We loaded some songs and oh-yeah... it sounds great. Two things I'd note that maybe I don't know the answer to. One is that the Bose doesn't have a iTouch specific dock saddle so the fit is really all based on the connector... and that could be problematic with something you will continue to poke on axis. The other thing is that the Bose remote doesn't seem to control anything but the volume. You cannot shut the system or iTouch down with the remote. The only way I could shut it down was pull the iTouch off and tap the black utton on the top edge. The remote will not skip to the end of the music clip either.

Is this me missing something or are all these real issues? And yes, this is one pretty incredible piece of hardware.

Doc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I hate cell phones.

I have a 1st gen iPod shuffle and a 2nd gen iPod nano. Previously I had a Sanyo flip phone on Sprint that worked just fine. I could make calls with it, and it worked on both digital and analog networks. It was 3 1/2 years old when last I used it, and it still worked well.

I hate cell phones.

Cell phones are an electronic ball and chain. Still, my Sanyo worked. I did a little travel, and found it very useful to connect to home. I eventually had nearly 100 numbers in it, all manually input with a t9 protocol.

I love my shuffle and nano. Wow, what neat little devices. While the shuffle is cool, the nano is hot. What it can hold is amazing, even at 2G.

When the iPhone was released, I melted and bought a 4G. While it has its annoyances - no voice dialing, no voice memos, virtually impossible to use while driving, that darned "pretty" and stupid recessed headphone plug - I love it. I enjoy using it, and I'm listening to it now.

I took a vacation with it, and did not bring a computer with me. I had access to AT&T's EDGE network wherever I went. I had email and could both read and write messages. I could get weather forecasts, and I had web access. I had a backup camera. I didn't miss my MacBook.

I don't know how the iPod touch is. I played with one for a couple minutes, and it was nice, but a brief encounter is merely that. If I was given the chance to go the iPod touch and cell phone route versus an iPhone, I'd choose the iPhone without a second thought.

I love my iPhone. ^_^

OP
E
Reaction score
I need a new phone that is why I am debating. I just played with an iTouch and and iPhone and Wow I am love with the concept. I guess I will go for the iPhone since I need a new phone anyway. I can always upgrade in 18mths since the contract will be 18mths on O2. Plus I already spend around 50pounds a month on a Vodafone contract.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
I don't really want an iPod that rings :)

having said that, if I have to carry a mobile phone around with me, which I do, might as well have that and my mp3 player all in one device... would rather buy the thing on a pay-as-you-go tariff and not be tied into >£1000 cost of ownership

Reaction score
As far as I have seen, the only draw back for the iPhone is non-3G capable.
Despite the said issue, I dont see a reason why a iPod Touch is comparable to iPhone side by side. iPhone is 5 miles ahead of Touch.

Reaction score
Headphone Solution

I was really upset by the headphone jack. I said "Oh Great Apple Wants to Charge For Everything" When I went to the apple store they were charging a killing for the adapter and a case. I then searched and found this company that turned out being great. They have tons of products not shown and I just needed to ask for them to find me a good solution.

http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/item_details/?item=iP-N07083

http://www.techsourcepro.com/sections/items/?cat=55

I hope this helps you guys...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I have the Belkin adapter (and am using it now), though I paid around $14 w/ shipping and handling. It's a bit awkward, but it works. When the iPhone was released, a couple people posted links for other adapters that actually seemed better, as the intermediate junction between the plug ends was cable versus Belkin's limited flexibility plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.33 Ghz. 512MB Leopard Airport Bluetooth
I'm going with the touch because my wife wont allow me to get out of another phone contract.:D I got the touch under the tree and it is killing me to know it is there!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I'm looking at an iPhone, but at £45 a month for a tariff that will cover my texting needs, I'm not too sure about it at the moment. I really wish my current phone (LG Prada) would sync with Mac's Address Book and iCal, but it doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.