Cost of the Upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Ok so I was part of the crowd that waited in line for Lep and I kinda now feel screwed. I just found out that if you bought your computer within a year then you can get the upgrade for $9. I did not know about this and actually shelled out full price for it; they would not let me use my student discount in the store either. Is there any way that I can recoup my losses, or did I just basically jump the gun way too quick and am not stuck w/ the cost. I usually wait for things and here I go... venture out and get stuck w/ the bill. Let me know what you guys thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its not one year, it was within a 1 month period. If you bought your mac since October 1st 2007, you can get a free upgrade disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that sucks man...
next time remember to look before you leap
-chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Oh... Ok my buddy told me a year... I feel a bit better now.

Loosing my student discount is a lot less significant than almost 130

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The student discount policy in Apple stores isn't new, but its not very well known. Students only get discounts on hardware at the Apple stores, to get the student discount on software, you have to buy it on the Apple.com store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
I've noticed some people posting comments about getting the upgrade disk for computers bought after 1/10/2007. They're outside the US and use the dd/mm/yyyy format instead of the mm/dd/yyyy format we're used to. I bet your buddy saw one of those posts or articles.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I found that out the hard way stretch, but its all good. I like being able to say I picked it up the day it launched... actually about 7 minutes after (in line for 40 mins).

Student discount rocks though... I usually get everything w/ it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I found that out the hard way stretch, but its all good. I like being able to say I picked it up the day it launched... actually about 7 minutes after (in line for 40 mins).

Student discount rocks though... I usually get everything w/ it
Braggin' rights ain't cheap. Glad you didn't really lose much. :D

Reaction score
FYI for anyone with access to a corporate partner "employee" discount (not apple employee discount), make sure tell them at the store at time of purchase. Mine worked which was extremely nice on a Leopard Family pack (received 17% off). YMMV so fair warning ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.