RAM for MacBook and MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi just wondering,

Are the latest versions of the MacBook and MacBook Pro compatible with any type of 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM?
Are the RAM modules interchangable between the 2 notebooks.

Also, what is the difference between these 2? Are both able to run on a MacBook or MacBook Pro?
This and this

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hi just wondering,

Are the latest versions of the MacBook and MacBook Pro compatible with any type of 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM?

Yes. Some RAM is less likely to fail, but all RAM is generally created equal. Don't go for no-name companies that nobody's ever heard of, beyond that there's really no dramatic difference between the brands.

OP
S
Reaction score
Another Question, did you buy RAM modules that the manufacturer state were for apple products? or just generic ones for any laptop. thx~!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
You don't need RAM that's specifically made for Apples, at least not on the newer machines like what you're talking about. The MB and MBP will take any 200 pin, PC5300/5400 (667MHz) DDR2 SODIMMs (up to 3GB in the MB-or 2 if you believe Apple-and older MBPs, 4GB in the newer MBPs).

Either of the kits you linked to will work in a Santa Rosa-based (2.2GHz or 2.4GHz ONLY) MBP. They will not work in a MacBook, or in the older MacBook Pros, and Mushkin makes good RAM.

However, so does OCZ. And Fry's (half-decent local reseller that bought outpost.com) has one heck of a deal on 4GB kits of OCZ RAM right now.
http://shop4.outpost.com/{h7viax+ZN...QphCzBnqg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You won't find a better price on a 4GB kit of quality 667MHz DDR2 laptop RAM. Though, if you prefer to look somewhere else, check around Newegg (as you've already done) and www.macsales.com The OWC (Macsales) RAM is good, as is Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, OCZ, and Patriot. Transcend is another brand that's been good to me. I wouldn't stray from those brands, but if you want to, find something with a lifetime warranty. That's usually a good indicator of quality.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks very much Geeky

... Either of the kits you linked to will work in a Santa Rosa-based (2.2GHz or 2.4GHz ONLY) MBP. They will not work in a MacBook, or in the older MacBook Pros, and Mushkin makes good RAM...

So those RAMS i linked would not work on the MacBook.
How abt the 2x1GB that comes default with the New MBP? Will I be able to port them over to the New MB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
The RAM out of the MBP will work in the MB no problem, yes. However, apparently the MB will take 3GB. It's not supported by Apple, and I don't know if there are any stability issues (though I'd be shocked if there were; the chipset in the MB is designed to handle 3GB), but you could pick up a 2GB stick and use that in the MB along with one of the 1GB sticks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alrighty then. Thanks for all your feedback..

Can't wait to get a MBP
*rubs hands with glee...*

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi sorry to pull out this thread again. Didn't want to start a new thread.

The Apple support site shows that 4 GB can be installed but only 3GB of RAM is addressable in OS X. Is that true? Or is it just outdated?
Link Here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
For the old MB (old being 'up to the one released today') and MBP (old being 'up to the ones released in June, the Santa Rosa models), yes, it's true.

However, the latest MB (today's) and the SR MBPs address 4GB just fine:

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow you sure are quick. Thanks very much! Appreciate it. :)

Btw if you dun mind me asking, wad brand of RAM are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I'm thinking about upgrading to 4GB of RAM for my SR MacBook Pro. My fiance has the most recent 2.16 GHz MacBook (not the SR ones released today). If I do upgrade my RAM, will I be able to install my 2 1GB sticks in her MB, thus giving her an upgrade as well? She currently only has 1 GB of RAM, which I'm assuming is 2 512 MB sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Yes, you can stick your RAM in her computer. And yes, hers ought to have 2 512s.

OP
S
Reaction score
Alrighty time to pull this thread out again.

Another Question, may I get PC6400 ram instead of 5300 for the MacBook Pro? Will I get compatibility issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It will work but it will operate at 667MHz, not 800... so if you're paying extra for the DDR800, don't bother. It's a waste of money.

Reaction score
pc 5300

Hey there.. quick question

does it have to be PC2 5300 for use in a macbook 13" or can i use PC 5300?

I've just bought 2 x 1gb SODIMM PC 5300 667 MHz DDR2 memory

Andreas

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.