How do you like Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
How do you like the new OS? Haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard
I love it, it's made my Mac super fast and it has a lot of really fun features!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
LOL...sorry I had to laugh...not at you just at my thought when the words how do you like Leopard ran through my head....so far the jury is out....like many I am having several issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2GB ram. 120GB HD. 250 GB external. Mac OSX 2.5 Leopard
I'm a fairly new switcher. I got my macbook in june. I loved tiger, but leapord took something great and made it perfect.

Spaces+Expose=the best computing experience ever. iChat is very nifty, mail is fast(i actaully use it now) and a bunch of other things.

its not really neccesary, but it's very nice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I don't think its anything special to be honest, just installed it.
Looks better in pictures, should have stuck with tiger for a while longer i don't think its totally ready.
Some of my apps have stopped working :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Mine's out for delivery. I'll be installing it this weekend. I'm actually looking forward to it but not the fact that my CS2 won't work anymore! Be months before I can upgrade to CS3.

I'm looking forward to time machine, the new Quick Look and Spaces.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have not installed it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
So far so good everything seems to work. I think its a bit quicker but its really hard to tell. The biggest problem I have seen is attempting to verify permissions its just very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took me 6 hours to verify permissions....I lik the appearence of Leopard and the features but miss old reliable Tiger...I'm sure apple will get this mess fixed....I hope...alot of money for problems...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
6 hrs?? I thought it was a long time when it took 6 minutes. Sounds like you may have more wrong then Leopard issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Love the new avatar Ninapants!

So far I am enjoying Leopard. I have a few minor issues with it, and suspect they will quickly go away. x11 is broken, an issue if you're an X developer or a hard core X user. (If you don't know what that means, you probably don't need to worry.) Also there were some issues syncing iCal and the iPhone, though I found a brute force method that worked.

That said, I love Leopard. Once I figured out how to do a few things, the installation was easy and trouble free. I lost no data.

I can connect to work, including both Linux lab machines and Windows machines. It would be no good if I can't do the things I need to do. I can, and it is good.

Spaces is excellent, allowing you to have multiple virtual desktops. They did it right from what I can see. I now have AOL Radio. While not directly Leopard related, I like listening to XM Radio. I couldn't do it well on my Mac under Tiger. Now with the new Beta AOL Radio app, I can do it. What good is an OS if it can't support the things you want or need to do? On my dock I have stacks for certain groups of applications. My dock has become uncluttered.

Was it worth it? Yes. Was it hassle free? No, but then once I looked at how things are done in the Mac world, it was easy. Problems notwithstanding, I like Leopard better than Tiger, and I liked Tiger very much.

Reaction score
I'm still getting acquainted with all the features they've added. But very nice to look at.

The only gripe that I have so far is the Spaces app they've added. On Tiger, I really enjoyed using VirtueDesktop for this purpose. Very customizable in terms of making your own keyboard shortcuts and also how you change from desktop to desktop by clicking on the edge of the screen. Pressing F8 or the limited shortcuts Apple allows is really a hassle. Adding Spaces activation to the hotcorners helps the transition from VirtueDesktop to Spaces, but I really hope apple makes it more customizable. I'd like to be able to switch from each desktop using keyboard shortcuts on my left hand (pressing the number keys limits a user to about key4, beyond that becomes a drag) while manuevering the mouse with my right hand.

Spaces is a downgrade compared to VirtueDesktops. But I really like how you can drag and drop applications to a certain desktop when viewing all of your desktops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I can grok Spaces isn't what you expected, BUT there is a fast way to navigate to adjacent desktops. You can use the arrow keys and one of the other keys, ctrl I believe, but I'm not sure which one as I'm at work using a *cough* Dell. -_^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally love it, as does my brother. Spaces integration with the OS, especially Expose, makes it so much better than VirtueDesktops (though I miss the cube ;P). I haven't had any stability or compatibility issues.

My only gripe is that some of Quicksilver's features don't seem to work out of the box like they did in Tiger. I'm sure I could manually fix the problem, but I'm hoping an update is on the way because I'm lazy :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
6 hrs?? I thought it was a long time when it took 6 minutes. Sounds like you may have more wrong then Leopard issues.

New mac so I don't know what it could be...leopard expert has me doing a capture data and emiling it to him and than onward to development he said. Adobe flash player is part of this mess...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
I really like it, but apart from Spaces and Time Machine there's nothing I use daily that i would miss if I went back to Tiger... yet. Ive still got lots of exploring to do.

Reaction score
So far so good.

• Spaces comes in handy for my Parallels WinXP.
  • I'm 50/50 on the 3D dock, I don't mind it on a larger monitor but on a MacBook it's too distracting.
  • I'm more like 25/75 on the translucent menu bar. It's an even greater distraction on the MacBook, and I really don't understand what the advantage is suppose to be, even on larger displays. It seems like tacked on eye candy to me. I'm looking forward to a hack or an update to toggle it on and off (so far there's no fast easy and reliable hack or kludge).
  • There's some bugs in the wifi. For me I can only see the wifi network I'm currently connected to, not all available networks. I have to through the Assist Me diagnostics to see the other networks and join them.
  • Bummed that Leopard broke PithHelmet, and on a related note I'm noticing that Safari needs to have pages refreshed sometimes before it can finish displaying a page for the first time.
  • Also bummed that Leopard broke SleepDisplay. I use that a lot on my iMac.
  • Amazed at how easy it was to upgrade. Start the process, go for a walk, and the Leopard desktop is there waiting for you. Not like Windows that stops mid way through asking you silly questions that easily could have been asked at the beginning.
  • There's other bugs in networking and I hear there's issues with Adobe products and Leopard, so office stations will probably want to wait.
  • The DVD Player can sense degraded disks and skip over damaged parts. On one disk this worked find but on another it kept telling me it was skipping over bad parts (with white text up in the top left corner of the screen) but it never did and never needed to. That was distracting.

PS...if you don't like the 3D dock, enter this into terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock
Change to NO if you want 3D back again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base White Macbook
I to am enjoying it particulary when I only paid for delivery as I only bought my macbook at the beginning of the month :Evil:

I have had no problems at all and took approx 30 mins to install.

Would I have parted with £80 if I hadn't bought the mac this month...probably not at the moment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB ram, 160GB HD. iMac 20" 2Ghz Core 2 Duo Aluminum, 2GB ram, 250GB HD
I am loving Leopard. The GUI is alot more slick and I love the new 3D dock. Going through the files in 3D in finder is also awesome.:D

One thing I am dissapointed about is that I was expecting Leopard to run faster considering I am using the new Core 2 Duo Aluminum iMacs as I thought with the new Core 2 Duo processors being 64bit and Leopard being 64bit I'd be using a computer equilivent of a Ferrari.

Anyway nice one Apple.;D

Artmuzz

D R

Reaction score
I have mixed opinions. I do like the new dock and interface that is unified and refined. As mentioned earlier by another poster, I could probably go back to Tiger with no issues really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.