How do you like Leopard?

Reaction score
I can grok Spaces isn't what you expected, BUT there is a fast way to navigate to adjacent desktops. You can use the arrow keys and one of the other keys, ctrl I believe, but I'm not sure which one as I'm at work using a *cough* Dell. -_^

Yeah, you can. But if your using a mouse on your right hand, its very inconvenient to have to go to the keyboard and then go back to the mouse. I'd prefer being able to customize my own shortcuts so that i can navigate to other desktops. I've developed a really good system with virtuedesktops, i just feel downgraded when using Spaces thats all. But all in all, i still like. Can't get everything you want i guess. I just hope in the future they expand and allow user customization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
PS...if you don't like the 3D dock, enter this into terminal:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock
Change to NO if you want 3D back again.

Dude! GREAT TIP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
I like the new finder, and the network drive shortcuts. Im less than impressed with Time machine(its super slow), spaces, Its just not as streamline as it could be, and it looks way to much like vista. New Safari and iChat are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I'm satisfied....... except for Time Machine... I "thought" I could use my external drive.... well i can, but I have to reformat it first before it can back up... I have SOOOOOO much stuff on it right now... that'll have to wait another day..

I like the dock... but I'm a candy gal! I love the little lights underneath the active programs...

Photo booth is NOT what is displayed on the guided tour tho... disappointed with that.

Speedy, quick.... new mail is great! Safari is FAST!

I give it a 9 out of 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Sherlock is missing. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
So far so good.... specially the Time Machine..... I keep experimenting a lot on my macbook and it helped me twice to restore everything with a few clicks... it's awesome... but i am still struggling to get Linux working under bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

Just a few quick questions to all you leopard owners out there.

Firstly, the new & improved Mail app. Does it now allow Hotmail accounts to be managed from it or do you still have to use a 3rd party plug in to enable http mail as such?

Also, I read earlier in the thread that there are some issues with Adobe programs and Leopard. I'm currently running CS3 and wondered if anyone else running it has experienced any issues with the performance/functionality of any of the CS3 suite programs (Photoshop in particular).

Also a quick NAS question, I have read on the forums that some people have been having problems getting Leopard to connect to NAS/NDAS devices. Is this an intermittent/minority issue or is it more wide spread? Only I currently have a 500GB NAS drive which stores my media that I currently access through front row (via mounting the drive within the movies folder then accessing it in Front Row), so it would be a huge shame (and a big pain in the butt) if Leopard doesn't let me into it any more! (I had that problem with Vista Home Premium which is why I bought it and only used it as part of a dual-boot system for testing purposes)

Finally, Boot Camp. Has anyone used Leopard's Boot Camp yet? If so hows the performance and stability? Any issues?

I am contemplating buying Leopard soon and would like to Install Vista Home Premium using Boot Camp in order to play some Windows games I have, as my Windows machine is not as powerful as my Mac & so does not play some of my newer games as I would like!

Thats all from me....

....for now ;D

Thanks in advance guys... happy Leopard'ing!

Chris :D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
So after a nightmare upgrade to Leopard* just last night here is how i feel about it so far (given that its very early days)

Initial impressions are that its a lot quicker than Tiger, Safari also seems quicker.

In Tiger, one of my two external hard drives took upwards of a minute to mount - in Leopard the same disk mounts in seconds :)

Like i say early days, will update this at a later date once i have reinstalled all my old apps.

* I should qualify that by saying that when Leopard did actually allow me to install it, the process was painless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I find the overall experience enjoyable. It is certainly faster then Tiger. Finder is much improved. Had some minor keychain issues, that were easily resolved.

Reaction score
LOL...sorry I had to laugh...not at you just at my thought when the words how do you like Leopard ran through my head....so far the jury is out....like many I am having several issues

Hey MacGirl - is that your mailbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr. Chirs - I did a simple upgraded without any issues and I'm running CS2. From what I read on another post, it's an installer issue. So I think it depends on how you'll be installing leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Mr. Chirs - I did a simple upgraded without any issues and I'm running CS2. From what I read on another post, it's an installer issue. So I think it depends on how you'll be installing leopard.

I would be doing a fresh install of Leopard.

I don't like doing upgrade installs as I prefer to freshen the system up with a clean install :) (not that it really needs freshening up, unlike my windows machine which looks like it is due for a re-format soon! :Angry-Tongue: )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I would be doing a fresh install of Leopard.

I don't like doing upgrade installs as I prefer to freshen the system up with a clean install :) (not that it really needs freshening up, unlike my windows machine which looks like it is due for a re-format soon! :Angry-Tongue: )

just know that if you do decide to take the "fresh install" route, you need to back everything up... (I forgot all of my bookmarks). I did it the erase and install route, and now regret it. I had trouble installing my programs after the install of Leopard. So i went back and installed Tiger, installed all of my apps, and then did an archive and install. This made all of my problems (such as hanging installers, serial number issues, and such) all better.

Personally, I would suggest the archive option. Like I said though, it my personal $0.02 Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to do a clean install but was too anxious - thought I'd give it a shot. Luckily it worked out great for me and I didn't have to worry about my apps and installing those again. Perhaps when all the bigs and fixes are sorted, Ill do a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
just know that if you do decide to take the "fresh install" route, you need to back everything up... (I forgot all of my bookmarks). I did it the erase and install route, and now regret it. I had trouble installing my programs after the install of Leopard. So i went back and installed Tiger, installed all of my apps, and then did an archive and install. This made all of my problems (such as hanging installers, serial number issues, and such) all better.

Personally, I would suggest the archive option. Like I said though, it my personal $0.02 Good Luck!

Humm

In that case then I may try an archive & install first, I can always go down the fresh install route after if I want.

cheers for the info guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I upgraded my Macbook's HD for Leopard so it was a clean install for me. So far I'm loving it. I'm in love with the dock; I love the stacks and grid views! I didn't think I'd use Spaces much, but I do. It's great for running Parallels in full screen and for using programs that take up a lot of screen space (Photoshop, Lightroom, iTunes, etc.)

Coverflow is great for going through a folder of pictures but not so great for other things.

I'm a little disappointed with how the Dock looks when it's on the side of the screen. Using a Macbook I would keep the Dock on the left for more vertical screen space, but it looks horrible and takes away the stack option..

Reaction score
I ordered a family pack from Amazon on Sunday, received it in the mail Tuesday afternoon and promptly backed-up and did a format/install on my MacBook as soon as I got home from work.

Stacks is kinda cool, but I don't care for the way it changes the icon - I'd rather it be just the folder icon and stay that way.

I'm sure Spaces will be great on my MacBook once I get it set-up.

I have other methods of backing-up so I probably won't even use Time Machine.

I LOVE having my Shared computers/files LISTED in the Finder!! Coupled with the "Connect As" button this feature makes using files from other computers much easier.

As others have mentioned, Cover Flow is nice for browsing photos/wallpapers, but I think it will have a somewhat limited use for other types of files (at least on a 13" screen). I'm not a big fan of Cover Flow in iTunes -- I guess I don't really get too worked up about what the album cover looks like, but I do like it for browsing photos. Now if Apple would let you right-click/option-click a wallpaper to set is as a background rather than having to go all the way into preferences! That's about the only thing I miss from Windows. :)

Transparent menu bar. Still undecided, but I think it will present some problems for folks who like to use the menu bar to display menulets like MenuMeters. I had some difficulty seeing the graphics with the wallpaper I was using last night.

The brushed look of Tiger is better than the flat gray (IMO).

I'm still underwhelmed by Safari (I know, blasphemous, huh?). I'd been using the Beta 3 on Tiger some of the time but for some reason it just feels slower at rendering the pages than Firefox and even Camino. The final version on Leopard doesn't feel any different.

Can't wait to "play around" with all of the other things Leopard has to offer.

I will wait to upgrade my Mac Pro until the apps I use are updated for Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
I was really excited to go buy leopard... i went into the local myer store to buy it, i wanted to see what leopard was like before i upgraded so i played on the macs in myer... honestly i thought it was pretty bad... i'm not a fan of the new finder at all... and all the systems lagged so bad until they froze... so i left without buying leopard.

i thought i'd give it another shot so i went to a different store to play around on their systems, when i arrived the computer i wanted to play on was already frozen and the other one froze soon after i started playing on it.... so i've decided to give leopard a miss for now, im worried it will screw up my computer just like the ones in the store.

Xer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White
Looks awesomely uglier.

Perform awesomely super fast!
:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.