Can a mac play .WMV files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Use www.perian.org codec pack. Plays everything with quicktime. Only thing is I sometimes have a problem with the WMV audio codec, but you can use VLC for that.

Reaction score
EasyWMV

About EasyWMV

Can be used to resize or convert wmv, asf, avi, mp4, mpg, mpeg, mov, m4v, flv, nsv, swf and vob video files so that they can be used with QuickTime Player. EasyWMV has a very simple user interface, supports drag-and-drop as well as batch processing. EasyWMV can export video to mpeg and mpeg4 formats and can optimize videos for playback on iPod

If you've just upgraded to Leopard I wouldn't be able to say whether or not this program is Leopard-Proof

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I use Flip4Mac -- works fine. Not sure about Leopard, though, have not installed Leopard yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I use Flip4Mac -- works fine. Not sure about Leopard, though, have not installed Leopard yet.

Flip4Mac is the generally accepted answer to this question, since Microsoft pulled the plug on their Media player for Mac. I use Flip4Mac on my G5, and lots of folks use it on their Intel Macs - works well across the line.

OP
H
Reaction score
Could i download VLC player and it wud work on that? without downloading anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
VLC is a crappy player. Just install Perian, and you can enjoy your content the way it was meant to be enjoyed - Front row!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
i have leopard and flip4mac and have so far had no issues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Flip4Mac... works perfectly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
VLC takes the cake in formats it can play. I've never had a problem playing anything with VLC.

Reaction score
So, the judges choices are in:

I would advise that you have at least Perian, Flip4mac & VLC installed as you can never have enough of these great apps or add-ons ... they make the mac experience so much richer ...

Reaction score
Will these programs work together or will they conflict with each other if installed simultaneously. For example, if I have flip4mac installed what will happen if I install perian?

Reaction score
Will these programs work together or will they conflict with each other if installed simultaneously. For example, if I have flip4mac installed what will happen if I install perian?

They all work together and the more tools you have on hand the better ....

I have a quite lot of these plugins/codecs installed on my iMac without any conflict ... I have Tiger 10.4.10. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
VLC for me too, sure it's not pretty, but it plays almost anything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Perian DOESN'T play WMV... but it will play just about everything else.

I have Perian & Flip4Mac installed for QuickTime/Front Row goodness; and VLC just incase there's anything I come across that isn't supported by those (I got so used to using VLC to play DVDs from my external drive I now need it, even if I never use it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I have VLC and Flip4mac, they dont conflict for me. Sometimes when I want to play an .avi file in quicktime the audio does not come through. In this case I use VLC and it seems to work everytime. I used to have a great aversion for VLC, but that was on my G3 iMac. Now that I have my macbook, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
quick related question. I have avoided downloading any of these external apps, on my 3 week old iMac. Waiting to install Leopard this weekend.
The question is when I do download apps like flip4mac, does it automatically get included on all users acccounts? Do I have to do someting to make it for all users?
New to Mac, and downloading & installing is a bit sketchy to me right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I have never used multiple accounts on any of my Macs but I would think that it would be useable on all accounts on the computer.

Reaction score
Usually if the app or sys pref can be enabled on a user basis or system wide, it will give you this option when you install it. You'll be given a check box to tick to either make it available just for you or for all users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.