MacBook Pro Restart without warning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
Hi Guys

I've had my MacBook Pro since September and although this has only happened twice, I'm a little worried about it.

During normal use, once with adapter connected, once without, the MBP has restarted without warning.

This is not a normal shutdown/restart, but simply its as if the power was cut off and then immediately restored.

The laptop was a bit warm last time it happened but not excessively.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
go to system preferences-->power adapter--->Option--->switch off restart automatically after power failure
:D have fun with ur laptop :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb, 160Gb 256Mb Vram, OSX Leopard!, ViewSonic 20" Widescreen TFT
go to system preferences-->power adapter--->Option--->switch off restart automatically after power failure

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I had a look at this option and its already unchecked, so im not sure that this is the issue.

As i mentioned, i have had this twice now, once on battery, and once on the Power adapter.

Reaction score
Hmm, I've had this problem too, and just had it happen to me twice in the last 24 hours. Happened before and after I've upgraded to leopard. Worrying more than a big problem, but I've contacted AppleCare - so far no results.

Did you have any resolution to your problem

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi.

Its been a while but an update. It is still randomly restarting, but fairly infrequently, so far twice this week. Nevertheless, it is very annoying.

I have held off contacting apple because it is so infrequent, and i cant tie it to a particular action. Its definitely not heat related as i can get this running very hot and it wont restart. it is totally random.

A PRAM and an SMC reset had yielded no success

Of course there is never anything in the logs to suggest what happened.

At least with an unscheduled restart in Windows you get a log entry reporting it!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi.

Its been a while but an update. It is still randomly restarting, but fairly infrequently, so far twice this week. Nevertheless, it is very annoying.

I have held off contacting apple because it is so infrequent, and i cant tie it to a particular action. Its definitely not heat related as i can get this running very hot and it wont restart. it is totally random.

A PRAM and an SMC reset had yielded no success

Of course there is never anything in the logs to suggest what happened.

It sounds hardware related. Try running the AHT.

At least with an unscheduled restart in Windows you get a log entry reporting it!!!!

Not always.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
I would go to your local apple store and see if they can help you out. If you don't have a apple store close to you I think you should call and tell them you have already reset the ram and its not helping. I have had my mbp since July and have never had it restart on me randomly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz Macbook Pro 200 Gig HD 2g Ram, Thinkpad X200: 2.4 GHz 160 GB HD and 3GB of RAM, 500 GB TimeCa
Hi Guys

I've had my MacBook Pro since September and although this has only happened twice, I'm a little worried about it.

During normal use, once with adapter connected, once without, the MBP has restarted without warning.

This is not a normal shutdown/restart, but simply its as if the power was cut off and then immediately restored.

The laptop was a bit warm last time it happened but not excessively.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had this problem with my 1.83 MBP, the battery was faulty and it would say it was full and then all the sudden it would restart or go to sleep until I plugged it in. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.