want to go back to tiger

Reaction score
i'm trying to like it but there are just too many glitches for me to carry on with leopard

corporate wireless not working 802.1x
itunes crashing notstarting
safari crashing
no pgp plugin

i did an inplace upgrade is it possible to do an inplace downgrade to save me the hassle of backing up and restoring my files and settings?

I'll go back to leopard when these things are fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't like it either but I don't believe there is a way to do a inplace downgrade... if you want to go back to Tiger, you are going to have to back up your information and do a clean install.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i'm trying to like it but there are just too many glitches for me to carry on with leopard

corporate wireless not working 802.1x
itunes crashing notstarting
safari crashing
no pgp plugin

i did an inplace upgrade is it possible to do an inplace downgrade to save me the hassle of backing up and restoring my files and settings?

I'll go back to leopard when these things are fixed

You'll need to restore your system using the backup you made before you upgraded (you did make a backup, didn't you?). Otherwise, my only recommendation would be to do a Time Machine backup now, and then do a clean install and import your applications, documents and settings from the backup using the Migration Assistant post-install.

My guess is that you'll find many of these things work fine with a clean install (they do for me - aside from the PGP plug-in).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't time you can use time machine with tiger or can you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2GHz intel core duo 2 GB ram Mac os x 10.5 Leopard
partion your drive. instal tiger. transfer files. delete leopard. restor partion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I must admit, I am finding it frustrating - I get the impression that Leopard was still a good month or 2 off being ready for a realease (even with minor bugs still to be worked out).

I know that first release of software will always be a bumpy ride but blue screen of death, the os crashing daily and all the other problems that have been mentioned on these forums - it just doesn't work at the moment.

Not having the support on the tech lines (50 mins wait someone reported on here) smacks of "lets not lose face and put leopard out there in October as promised" We will fire fight the problems.

Sorry for my words of negativity but I have accepted that Leopard will take a few months the get anywhere near where I expected it to be on the day of release.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must admit, I am finding it frustrating - I get the impression that Leopard was still a good month or 2 off being ready for a realease (even with minor bugs still to be worked out).

I know that first release of software will always be a bumpy ride but blue screen of death, the os crashing daily and all the other problems that have been mentioned on these forums - it just doesn't work at the moment.

Not having the support on the tech lines (50 mins wait someone reported on here) smacks of "lets not lose face and put leopard out there in October as promised" We will fire fight the problems.

Sorry for my words of negativity but I have accepted that Leopard will take a few months the get anywhere near where I expected it to be on the day of release.

I am having none of the problems you speak of and I installed it within 2 hours of its delivery and have been using it constantly ever since. Not a single hiccup.

I think much of the issues people are having with stability and the "blue screen" are related to Application Enhancers ("haxies") and other third party software. I have heard no one who's done a clean install having these kinds of problems.

Let's be honest here, there's only so much beta testing you can do before you release a product. You can't possibly test every single possible configuration scenario out there - especially third party hacks that circumvent the OS, like AE does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you are saying and I am getting my problems after a clean install - ok the blue screen wasn't but the crashing was.

I would be interested in seeing what application enhancers I have installed that could be doing it as I will gladly look to remove. Everything I use - ichat, safari, msn. I use parallels and some apps on there for my job but nothing that I would see effecting leopard. Parallels should be stable.

I still think it would have been better hanging on a little while to ensure that the blue screen but I accept its almost impossible to cover all configurations.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you are saying and I am getting my problems after a clean install - ok the blue screen wasn't but the crashing was.

I would be interested in seeing what application enhancers I have installed that could be doing it as I will gladly look to remove. Everything I use - ichat, safari, msn. I use parallels and some apps on there for my job but nothing that I would see effecting leopard. Parallels should be stable.

I still think it would have been better hanging on a little while to ensure that the blue screen but I accept its almost impossible to cover all configurations.

When you open your System Preferences, do you see an applet for "Application Enhancer"? If so, you'll need to uninstall that - it's not Leopard compatible and has been known to cause the blue screen problem during install.

In addition, try this application to get all of your other applications up to date (many companies have released Leopard-compatible updates and this program will sniff them out, download and install them for you).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have growl in the "other" panel in prefs. I have used the app fresh that you suggested and updated growl and thats it... Just crashed again for 2nd time today before doing it..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am having no issues with Leopard so far at all with a Intel Mini Core Duo. Not one issue so far. No Application crashes either.

If you really want to go back to Tiger, Backup everything you need to an external or Burn DVD's and put in your Tiger DVD in the drive and hold down C after the startup sound. Only way I know of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.