HD's during black friday

Reaction score
two questions if i may:

i havent been able to make it out to black fridays in the past, so i was wondering if anyone knew if hard drives are a part of those things that jump way down in prices.

this may sound like a really dumb question, if i wanted a firewire HD, could i just get a FW enclosure and stick any old 3.5 HD in there? im confused as to why external FW HDs are so expensive. (if they crap out, i need to buy another one, as opposed to swapping out the drive in an enclosured one)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, typically retailers will dramatically discount much of their inventory on black Friday (there are no guarantees, however).

As far as building your own external HD, absolutely - you can buy kits that come with just the enclosure and you can install your own drive. Check out NewEgg.com - search for "firewire external enclosure". Here is an example.

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you very much for your speedy response!

am issue that always confuses the beejesus out of me is the whole ATA/SATA/PATA/ultra ATA/etc. issue. the enclosure that you linked to states support for any ATA drive. is ATA a specific kind, or is is saying any type of drive that has ATA in its name (pata,sata,etc)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They are two different interface types, with SATA being the newer style.

PATA/ATA/ATA-100/ATA-133/Parallel/40-pin, etc is the older style (I like to use the term "Parallel ATA"). You can mostly use any older drive with a 40-pin connector with an enclosure that claims to support ATA.

SATA/SATA150/SATA2/Serial ATA, etc is the newer style. Anytime you see that 'S' before the ATA, it means that it's the newer style of interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Most 3.5's require power sources too. A more convenient option, but maybe a little more expensive, would be to get a 200gb 2.5 drive. USB or firewire is all it takes, no external power connections and the size is a plus. They're generally a bit more portable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.