Leopard - Keyboard freeze?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
I installed Leopard last night (Erased and Installed) and thought that everything went fine until I started noticing that my keyboard freezes up every now and then. Keystrokes don't register for about a minute and then everything works fine again. Keystrokes that I enter when the freeze happen do not 'buffer' and are completely lost.

Does anyone know why this may be happening?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Same here.

Did an erase and install. Now keyboard locks up randomly with no rhyme or reason.

13" Macbook

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. It happened once so far. I had to reboot the computer to get it fixed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Is Apple listening??? Sounds to me like this has not been the smoothest upgrade for a lot of people.

What are the chances that Apple will release a s/w update pretty soon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 250 GB, 2.16 GHz C2D, 2 GB Ram
MBP Keyboard Occasional Malfunction

My three day old 15.4" macbook pro's keyboard has started randomly not responding to keystrokes. I first noticed this while surfing the internet while hooked up to magsafe. unplugging it seemed to work at first, but then it started doing it while running on battery. So far, it hasn't stopped working in the last couple minutes or so(as I type this). Does anyone have any insight as to what might be going on? Thanks.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I'd like to mention I've had this problem with my MacBook too.

Reaction score
same issue

I am having the same issue with my brand new MacBook Pro. Occasionally they keyboard stops responding for a minute or so. I usually reboot and it goes away for a while. I was concerned that it was hardware until I read this thread. Anyone know anything new?

Reaction score
Same issue, my MBP was ordered 4 of september 2007. Working on Tiger was perfect, then switch to Leopard since it release. Sometime writing email or typing, one of key on keyboard did not work, I have to PUSH it again and it works. I don't think this is hardware problem because I did not meet this problem at all in Tiger.

BTW, I found out another error in my Leopard today that the Safari ask me relaunch. Well, if there was only 1 time then I think the OS got error sometime, i mean it is acceptable. But I got this error 4 times now, it is very annoy. And I don't know if it keep happening like this.

I did the clean install when I install Leopard.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Same here,
I experienced this last night (did not know it was this widespread)
I was about to type in my network key and nothing happened...
the keyboard completely locked up.. not even caps and num
I've been using leopard since the day it came out and have not had this problem since.
What I did was turn my computer off, remove the battery, put it back in, and restart --it seams to have worked so far

What computer are you all using and
Has someone sent a bug report in to apple?

M

MacHeadCase

Do you guys have a USB hub connected to your Macs?

It could have no relation at all but here's what I went through just a couple of months ago. I am still on Tiger and this happened running Tiger btw so there might be no similarity at all with your problem. I bought the new Alu keyboard 'cuz the one that came with my iMac G5 wasn't pleasant to use and some keys were getting harder and harder to type with.

I plugged in this magnificent new keyboard and it worked fantastic for the first day. Then the next day it started to be erratic: keystrokes would not register, or the letters would appear with a one minute delay, keys suddenly would go on typing by themselves like if I continuously pressed on them (to make it stop, I would have to unplug the keyboard).

I tried reinstalling the driver, all sorts of troubleshooting things, to no avail. Out of frustration, I took the keyboard back got a brand new one in exchange, I was certain it was a bad keyboard I got the first time.

I plugged in the new one and blam!, it went berserk on me as well. I was so disappointed: I was going to take this one back as well and ask for a refund. I then started thinking and unplugged one by one the USB peripherals and when I got to a certain USB 2.0 hub, all the strangeness stopped. There was an incompatibility between the new Apple Alu keyboard and the USB 2 hub!

Anyway I might be completely off the wall here, but when you installed Leopard, did you take the precaution of unplugging all the peripherals except the necessary ones to install the new OS? That is something to consider with all software updates or upgrades, including not using the Mac while the Software Update process is underway.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15.4" 2GB RAM
I have also just recently had this problem. Happened when I had Firefox open and started working again after closing firefox. Also only happened since I updated to Leopard.

Maybe a problem with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Keyboard stops working sometimes. Leopard related?

Since I installed Leopard, there have been a few times where my keyboard will just stop working. I thought it was because I have an Apple wireless keyboard, but today it happened several times while I was just typing on the notebook keyboard. Has anyone run into this kind of issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about the others, but this is happening to me with the MBP's keyboard as well, not just external keyboards.

I think there are too many cases here for this to be some kind of fluke in the install or anything like that. I'm going to try to contact Apple about it. I suggest everyone else do the same. The more complaints there are, the quicker they'll do something about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
repeat due to merge

M

MacHeadCase

DOH! Didn't notice you guys were all using notebooks! Sorry, my earlier post is not related to your problem at all, I see now... :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
there are now several threads about this problem

M

MacHeadCase

*Merged threads with the same topic - Seems OS related, not hardware related*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.