Leopard - Keyboard freeze?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I completely agree,
this happened to when when using the built in keyboard on my MBP with absolutely noting plugged in
Everyone who has experienced this problem PLEASE send in a bug report to apple. The more reports they get, the more likely they are to fix the problem.

Apple-Mac OS X-Feedback
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
What programs have you noticed this problem with? I realized this afternoon that I seem to only have this problem when using MS Office programs. So far I haven't had it come up in anything else, like Safari.

It seems odd though that a keyboard problem, which is hardware, would only have a problem with particular software. Could it be a subversive attack on MS? I doubt it, but you never know.

If anyone has had this problem with a non-Office program, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
What programs have you noticed this problem with? I realized this afternoon that I seem to only have this problem when using MS Office programs. So far I haven't had it come up in anything else, like Safari.

It seems odd though that a keyboard problem, which is hardware, would only have a problem with particular software. Could it be a subversive attack on MS? I doubt it, but you never know.

If anyone has had this problem with a non-Office program, please let me know.

As I stated in an earlier post, this happened to me when I was entering in a wireless network key. I have nothing Microsoft (except windows :p) on my computer.

Reaction score
New MBP with 10.5 - Keyboard Freeze

I also have a brand new MBP with 10.5 and no peripherals plugged in. The keyboard stops responding intermittently. If I wait a minute or so, it comes back. I have had issues in both Safari and Mail

Reaction score
Thank god, i was beginning to think it was just my macbook pro... would have been upset seeing how my machine's only 1 week old. Hopefully it will get addressed in the first Leopard update.

Reaction score
I called Apple with this problem, this is what they had me do

I had the same problem and so I called Apple, after going through a bunch of things, they had me reset my P-RAM (I have no idea what that is), but it worked (for about a week or so and then I just had to do it again)

1. Shut-Down computer
2. take out battery and then hold the power button for 5 sec
3. reinsert the battery
4. restart computer holding down the command (apple) key, the "p" key, the "r" key, and the "option" key. The computer will start-up once (mac the mac startup sound) then shut down and start up again, after it makes the startup sound the second time, release the 4 keys and let it startup...this should solve the problem (at least temporarily)

To let you know. I have a 15" Macbook Pro running Leopard
2.4 GHz and 2 GB RAM

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool will try this the next time I restart my computer

Reaction score
hahaha, this has happened to me a few times now and just as i was about to respond in this post...it happened, go figure!

this has to be a software issue and i'm hoping they fix it soon. it's actually really annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Chalk up another to macbook keyboards freezing. My fiances blackbook is awful, she can't even type a sentence without it going dead. Anyone heard any fixes yet?

dc2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I just go my MacBook and keyboard lock ups are also happening in XP what gives ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
My MBP keyboard has never completely locked up but I do have one minor annoyance with it. If it sits idle for a few minutes and then I start to type something the first keystroke is almost always ignored. I have to backspace to insert the first character of a word. I know it's not my typing ability as this never happened on my old Windows's machine.

While I'm at it lets talk about the quality of the keyboard. I love the backlit keys and the look of the MBP keyboard but I think they could have gone for a higher quality keyboard. I want the tactile feel of the Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard. Even the Sony VAIO has a better feel to it than my MBP.

I bought the new aluminum keyboard and I love it. Why didn't they put that type of keyboard built into the MBP? Why didn't they make backlit keys for the new aluminum keyboard, it would have been easy to do and I think a little contour to it would have been nice.

Just some random thoughts....... Lets hope they improve the MBP keyboard in the next design.

Reaction score
It seems as though Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 does not run too well on MacBooks, and G4's. Ive heard a lot of complaints about issues specifically for the laptop Macs.

To: Danmacbook15
Apple is very cunning, almost "devilish". They will offer a quick fix,(such as P-RAM Reset, OS reinstallation, even had a case involving actual Mac OS code input). But a lot of these i found to be just "temporary fixes"(nothing more), only to substantiate their warranty agreement, but in actuality a means of shutting you up until your contract expires. The only "fix" that ive found (which has been done 5 times to date, in a 3 year span) has been to physically send in the machine(Taking anywhere from 2-4 weeks) If its a new MacBook, Id suggest just demanding a new one. It almost seems as though the ratio of computers Leopard actually benefits, is being sorely outweighed by those it actually disrupts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
It seems as though Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 does not run too well on MacBooks, and G4's. Ive heard a lot of complaints about issues specifically for the laptop Macs.

To: Danmacbook15
Apple is very cunning, almost "devilish". They will offer a quick fix,(such as P-RAM Reset, OS reinstallation, even had a case involving actual Mac OS code input). But a lot of these i found to be just "temporary fixes"(nothing more), only to substantiate their warranty agreement, but in actuality a means of shutting you up until your contract expires. The only "fix" that ive found (which has been done 5 times to date, in a 3 year span) has been to physically send in the machine(Taking anywhere from 2-4 weeks) If its a new MacBook, Id suggest just demanding a new one. It almost seems as though the ratio of computers Leopard actually benefits, is being sorely outweighed by those it actually disrupts.

My keyboard issue was present in Tiger so I know it's not a Leopard issue. I am referring to the issue where they first character does not register after the computer has been idle for a few minutes causing me to have to backspace in order to retype the first keystroke. It's very annoying to say the least.

Reaction score
Keyboard freezing on intel imac with Leopard 10.5.2

I notice my titanium keyboard freezing and thought it was the keyboard so got out an older USB keyboard from an early imac and the same problem arose BUT the problem only seems to be in Excel. when I am typing an email (test), or Word (text) I have no problems but as soon as I use excel 2004 version, not native Leopard, the keyboard freezes and you can't type anything into any cell. only solution is to quit and reopen the document. The mouse works fine whilst you are in Excel. Could be Excel is doing something in the background but once it freezes it doesn't unfreeze unless I quit. I have 2Gb RAM and no other programs are running so it can't be memory

Dave39
:Grimmace: :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Well I just started having this problem too with my iMac. I never had any issues with my keyboard until recently. I installed a Windows XP partition using Bootcamp. And now, when I'm running OS X, my keyboard is fine...that is until I plug in my iPhone. Mind you, the keyboard is plugged directly into the iMac while the iPhone goes into a USB hub. A restart seems to clear it, but it happens every time I plug in my phone.

Any ideas?

Sean

Reaction score
Sidetrack!!!!

I had the exact same problem. I did some research and cam to find that one of the programs on my machine called "Sidetrack" has a fatal conflict with one of leopards drivers. You have got to fully delete Sidetrack off your system then reboot. Should work like a charm after that.

Chris

Reaction score
Keyboard freezing in Excel

I received a solution from Deeter via the Forum for Excel causing the keyboard to freeze. In Excel, go to Preferences, then under EDIT there is a preference for CUT, COPY and SORT Objects with CELLS. There seems to be a conflict with it and Intel Mac's - uncheck it and you will find it solves the problem of keyboard freezing.

Dave39
:Cool:

Reaction score
Keyboard freezing in Excel #2

I received a solution from Deeter via the Forum for Excel causing the keyboard to freeze. In Excel, go to Preferences, then under EDIT there is a preference for CUT, COPY and SORT Objects with CELLS. There seems to be a conflict with it and Intel Mac's - uncheck it and you will find it solves the problem of keyboard freezing.

Dave39
:Cool:

Thanks a lot for posting your resolution! I finally figured out that my keyboard freezing problems were just in Excel 2004 today and this fixed my problem right away. This has been plaguing me for months now. Thanks again dude.

Reaction score
My MacBook has the same error, but the keyboard and trackpad did not response even when the device was restarting. However, I can use the mouse with USB connection. I tried with the suggestion posted by dave39, but the problem can not be fixed. Is this problem by hardware?

Reaction score
Keyboard freezes on letter..

Hello.
I seem to have a similar bug - I cant find the solution - so I posted here, maybe the resolve is the same:

After a little use, my keyboard types with the alternate keys (either press alt and type ie. ©ƒ˙∆¨†®ƒåœ∑) - have tried 3 different keyboards, one wireless, and in different ports, it is not a keyboard issue.

When I restart, everything is fine, but after a certain period of time - and this fluctuates, it starts typing with the alternate keys only. I have reinstalled the OS - entirely, and this still happens. For some reason i thought it was the java update - since this only started about 2 weeks ago, when I updated the computer via the software update (which had the Os update plus java update).

I also use Adobe products heavily on this computer, but I don't see why they would suddenly have of started being buggy...

I actually have an idea - when this was happening to me last week, sometimes instead of that , what would happen is - i would type a letter, any letter, say "G" - and the computer would infinitely repeat it, until i restarted. So maybe the same thing is happening with the alt key, it just happens to crash on the alt key more often than another key?

So maybe the problem is that the keyboard gets stuck on a letter, the letter dependent on what I'm typing when it crashes...

So one key keeps getting stuck, and it most often is the alt key.

Please help! This is so frustrating, and I called mac who simply told me to reinstall the OS. Which I did, Which hasn't helped.

All my software is legit and all that - this is a work computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.