improving efficiency upon startup?

Reaction score
first, i apologize for my lack of knowledge of computers.

a friend hit a few strokes a while back while my ibook was starting up and he said that it somehow improved the speed of the computer. i believe he called it the "fisk code". if anyone knows anything about this, please do respond with this sequence of strokes.

thanks much,
colin

Reaction score
There's this:

Start up holding Command + S to boot into Single User Mode then type fsck plus something else I've forgotten .... but this is diagnostic stuff so I'm not sure if it's the same as what your friend did ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Typing "fsck -f" (without the quotes) after booting your computer into single user mode by holding Command/Apple + S when you turn your machine on is basically the same thing as booting up from the install disk and "repairing" the hard drive, if needed. It won't make your computer run faster per say, but it is a good thing to do every once in awhile. I much prefer doing it via this method instead of booting up from the install disc which can take a very long time and offers no advantage unless you can't even boot into single user mode in the first place.

Anyway after you type the fsck -f, don't forget to type reboot after it is finished to restart your computer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.