Airport

Reaction score
I want to connect my new iMac to my wireless broadband router. The iMac has got an airport extreme card installed, but do I need an Airport express or extreme base station as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
If your wireless router is set up, all you need to do is connect to it by clicking on the airport logo on the top bar, and selecting the SSID.

If your router requires a WEP code, then enter it when prompted. Remember if its a 128bit code, remember to select which kind of code it is from the drop down menu above the password entry form which Airport will prompt you for.

If it is a MAC code reliant router, then get into router admin from another unit and add your iMac's MAC code. You can find this by pressing: Apple Menu (top left of the screen) - About this Mac - More Info - Network (in the side bar of System Profiler)

It is at the bottom

Hope this helps

Alex

OP
U
Reaction score
Great, thanks Alex. I haven't got my iMac yet, it's supposed to be here on Friday, but I hope to be online in minutes with your very thorough advice. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.